14

Cassie didn't think of anything else as she ran as fast as she could. She clutched her bleeding nephew close to her chest as she did feeling the warmth of his blood coating her white vest red. Rick ran alongside her carrying her bow as he did. Rick had wanted to carry Carl himself but both twins knew she was faster.

Cassie stopped running for a moment to catch her breath and turn around. As she did she saw Shane and Otis the man who shot Carl run closer.

"How much further?" She shouted at the man who was panting heavily "How much further is it?!"

"Just keep running that way half a mile there's a farm house. Hershel's there. Talk to Hershel he'll help the boy" Otis panted out before Cassie sprinted off again. She clutched Carls body close to her as she ran through the grass heart thumping in her ears.

She saw a farmhouse in the distance that was white with a green roof. Upon seeing the farmhouse so close she picked up her speed desperate to get Carl there as soon as possible.As she got nearer she saw someone standing on the porch before they shouted something and headed inside.

As Cassie approached the house a group of people came out. At the front of the group was an old man who looked her over noticing Carl in her arms.

"Was he bit" the man Cassie assumed to be Hershel asked as he walked over to her.

"Shot. By your man" Cassie panted out as Rick came running over coming to a stop beside her. He looked at Carl in her arms before turning to Hershel.

"Otis?" One of the woman stood by the farmhouse asked but she was ignored.

"Please help my nephew please!" Cassie begged as her and Rick walked over to Hershel

"He said find Hershel if that you? Rick asked but before he could get a response he begged "please help him help my boy"

Hershel didn't answer Ricks question but shouted "Get him inside, get him inside!"

As Cassie began to walk over to the door with Carl in her arms Rick stopped her taking Carl from her as he could see how tired she was. Rick carried Carl into the house with Cassie right behind him.

As they walked in Hershel began to call out to different members of his family different pieces of equipment the needed. He walked through the house rolling up his sleeves leading Rick and Cassie to a room with double bed tearing the duvet off before Rick laid his son down on the mattress.

"I-is he alive?" Rick stuttered out but Hershel never answered him rushing about to get everything ready. Hershel saw how in bad a state Rick was so turned to Cassie stood next to him.

"Who are you?" He asked in an urgent but gentle voice to the sniffling women.

"I'm Cassie" she chocked out another sob threading to come out.

"Cassie I need you to grab that pillow case,make a pad with it and put pressure on the wound" hershel explained as Cassie followed his words placing the makeshift pad onto her nephews stomach and pressing down.

Rick came up behind her as they both looked down at Carl whilst Hershel got out a stethoscope placing it on Carls chest. He listens for a minute before announcing he had a heart beat. At that news Cassie let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding in and Rick let out a small sob.

A women then stepped in for Cassie to help Hershel as she and Rick took a step back away from the bed watching the doctors work. A brunette women came over to them and gently pushed them back slightly as she asked them for space to work.

"Your Cassie what's your name?" Hershel asked Rick who stutter out his name for Hershel.

"Rick, Cassie we're gonna do everything we can okay? You need to give us some room" hershel told them as Cassie nodded slowly at the man before taking Ricks hand in her own beginning to slowly drag him out the room. Whilst leaving the room they Rick turned to look out the window. Cassie turned to see him staring at Shane who was still running with Otis behind him.