38

The next morning Cassie was woken by Lori gently tapping her shoulder.When she looked around the prison she noticed it was mostly empty except for Carl and Beth walking around."Hey, I told the others to let you rest" she told her.

"Why? I'm fine" Cassie tried defending but she could tell from the look on Loris face she wasn't buying it.

"I talked to Rick about what happened" was all Lori had to tell her for her to understand "But it's okay Cassie. You did what you had to. No one blames you for that"

"Thank you Lori" Cassie was genuine with her thanks to Lori as she needed to know her actions hadn't changed her relationship with her family.

"Good. Now cmon you're helping me and Beth with Hershel today. We found him some crutches" Lori told her as Cassie stood up then helped Lori up who was struggling with her baby bump.

"Are you sure he's ready for that?"

"He's insisted" Lori told her before the two began making their way down the stairs of the perch. "You know a certain someone was worried about you" Cassie knew who this person was without Lori even
having to clarify.

"Oh leave me alone" Cassie sighed lightly nudging Lori.

"What can I say I'm always right" Lori shrugged before she walked away to find Beth leaving Cassie with Carl.

"Hey bud" Cassie greeted her nephew who turned after hearing her voice. He was sat cleaning his gun but he stopped once he saw her.

"Did mom tell you Hershel might walk today" he said excited the old man was going to be up and about again.

"Yeah she did. It's good he feels ready to be up and about"

"I'm gonna challenge him to a race which I will win" Carl said causing Cassie to sigh at him.

"Of course you'll win you have two legs" Cassie joked and the pair sat laughing as Lori and Beth came back in the room. When Carl saw Beth he smiled a wide smile at her causing Cassie to laugh at her nephews crush.

She tapped his shoulder before she started to impersonate his facial expressions making Carl roll his eyes and run off into Hershel's cell, Cassie following close behind him.

Cassie went over to Lori's side to help the one legged man out of the bottom bunk bed.

"Just take your time" Lori told him.

"She's right Hershel there's no need to rush things or for you to push yourself" Cassie added on hoping the older man might pace himself slightly.

"What else am I gonna do?" Hershel asked them with a chuckle as he finally managed to stand up "I can't stand looking up at the bottom of that bunk anymore.."

Just as he spoke Hershel suddenly became slightly unsteady causing the three women beside him to quickly grab him to make sure he wouldn't fall down.

"You know I think I'm pretty steady" Hershel beamed and Cassie grinned at his confidence as she and Lori slowly led him out the cell.

"That's a good start. Want to take a rest?" Lori asked him which caused Hershel to chuckle again.

"Rest? Let's go for a stroll" And before either women could convince him other wise Hershel made his way out the cell causing Cassie and Lori to share a look before chasing after him.

Cassie noticed Beth looking worriedly after her dad as they made their way towards the door that would lead them out to the yard so she put a gentle hand on the younger blondes shoulder. "He'll be okay. And even if something did happen I'm here"