Chapter Twenty-Three

" You go to jail Ciara,'' Ella giggles placing my Monopoly piece on the jail spot. I falsely smile at her not wanting her to see my worrisome face. All I can think about is my mom out with the devil and I unknowingly think what he could be telling her. I wonder how can one human be so cruel,but then remember he also bred the demon by the name of Ty. I look to my game piece on the jail spot and chuckle thinking my whole world right now is in a jail cell and no one has bailed me out. I hear Ella giggling as she counts all her money and she's beating me I don't want to play I'm just allowing her to win. I hear the bell ring and I cautiously look up and Ella looks towards the door.

" Ciara it must be daddy do I get the phone,'' she whispers and I'm guessing William has been here roughly a lot while I've been out. I pat her hair down and wave her away. My hopes jump thinking it may be my mom early,but knowing Ella has been in this situation before I wonder towards the window and peek outside. Instead it neither. It's a skinny woman, who looks lost. Hair disheveled, dress tattered, makeup smeared, heels in her hands, and that's when I see it as she catches me. Her right eye is black and I know who she is. I rush to the door and open it and she stares at me with tears rushing to her eyes.

" I'm sorry to come,'' she says and I'm about to tell her not to.

" You must be my father's wife,'' I say and know that these words sound foreign,but I know all to well. This is how my mom use to look seventeen years ago. She nods her head in shame.

" Lucinda,'' she says almost out of breath and I look down at her feet. They're ashy and swollen.

" If I might ask how did you get here,'' seeing her panting for oxygen. I widen the door and she shuffles in.

" I ran. I didn't want to ask any of the guests at the dinner party and let them see me this way,'' she discloses and I'm astonished he did this with people around.

" Would you like some water, juice, anything really,'' I ask seeing her weak state.

" Yes please, water I'm quite parch,'' she dryly says and I immediately head over to the fridge. In the room Ella has disappeared and I hope she's gone to the bathroom,but my hopes are gone when I hear her shriek.

" Mama,'' she says.

I fill a pitcher full of water and call Lucinda to the kitchen and when she walks in Ella is tightly around her with her hands wrapped around her neck. Ella jumps down and Lucinda takes a seat.

" Mama why are you here,'' she playfully says,but I know she doesn't need to be here.

" I will tell you later sweetheart. How about you go play and leave me to talk with your big sister,'' she smiles at her. Ella tilts her head and I know she's smarter then she looks, but she won't say.

" Okay call me back when you're done I've missed you,'' she sadly says before walking away.

" Me too darling, me too,'' she silently whispers as she disappears down the hall. I look up as she looks down and everything in the air is heavy and I stare at her. The broken woman. I take in her appearance and it's startling as her face is stained with tears and the bruises paint her perfect skin.

" What happened Lucinda,'' I ask frowning at the story I'm about to hear. She breaths in, takes a sip of water, and starts and every ounce of attention I've had direct to her.

" You have to believe me when I say I love him and I still do,but it's hard to love a man who is unable to love,'' she starts to tear up and the water works begin as she continues,'' we were at a friend's dinner party and everything was fine. He was smiling, laughing and we were a couple until til..'' she stammers. How could he?