Act One: Prologue

Ever since they were children, Sigyn had been the one to look after her younger sister. Her sister had a gift, and everyone tried to exploit it. Their mother died giving birth to Skade and their father grew resentful and turned to ale to numb the pain of his loss. When a Dane loses the will to fight, he becomes worthless and that's just what happened. Their father drank so much he could no longer fight, and no one was willing to let him stay in their camp. Why would they want three extra mouths to feed if they were getting nothing in return? They lived alone for years. Until Skade's visions started when she was only five years old. Sigyn had tried her best to convince her to keep quiet and only tell her about them but Skade was desperate for their fathers attention.

"Father, I see us being welcomed into Udda's camp." Skade spoke excitedly, bouncing on the heels of her feet as her father barely looked back at her over his tankard of ale. "Take me to him. I have seen some things I believe he should know. The Gods have blessed us."

If there is one thing the Dane's believe in over the need for silver and power it is the Gods. So, if this small child claims to be receiving messages from the Gods. She was. And it was the first time in five years their father had stopped drinking. He was already grabbing at any silver they had left and was planning to travel to find Udda. They never strayed too far from the camps because they would be targeted by the Saxons.

Sigyn who was the grand old age of nine had been out with her bow and arrow to hunt something for them to survive on. When she returned home with a small boar, covered in it's blood she found their little hut empty. Frantically searching the small rooms. "Skade?" It was common for their father to disappear but never her sister. She found a map on the table and a small rune drawn near the woods. The woods where all the Danes had their camps. Why would they return after all these years? As her eyes scanned the map a second time, it was almost like she left her body and had astral projected to where her sister and father were. He was dragging her along through the open fields and she was singing happily about seeing how her life would be when they finally accepted her gifts. In the blink of an eye, Sigyn was back in the room. After several panicked breaths she clasped her dagger to her hip and ran out after them. This was the first time she had experienced the same gifts of her sister.

She ran until her legs ached, her chest heaved and she needed a rest. Falling back into an open field and staring up at the blaring sun as she tried to catch her breath. It was dangerous to be alone but until she could find them, all she had was herself. Hearing the chatter of people around her she remained hidden in the tall grass, hoping not to be spotted. When the heavy footsteps passed her she dared to look, whispering under her breath. "Saxon filth." She was careless, stupid even. She didn't even hear the heavy boots behind her until a heavy hand grabbed the collar of her shirt and easily lifted her from the floor.

"What do we have here? A Dane runt?" The guy smiled at her, a toothless grin and she was already kicking against his grip. Trying to free herself. "What do you take me for? Killing an innocent child. I'm not a Dane."

"You don't have the balls to be a Dane!" She screamed out, her legs continuing to kick against his arm but he didn't release her. Her shouts had attracted the group of Saxons back and in a blind panic she grabbed her dagger from her hip. One quick movement and she had sliced the mans face and blinded him in one eye. His blood coated her face but he dropped her to the ground. With a loud thud she barely had time to register the pain she felt before she started running again. Luckily the armour slowed all of the men down and she managed to escape their grasps.

This time she didn't stop running until she was hidden in the woods. Able to hide easily in the darkness. There was a fire in the distance and men singing and chanting and she just prayed to the Gods that it was the camp she had set out to find. Keeping her bloodied dagger gripped tightly in her hand she headed for the noise. She could see the blonde hair of her sister in the distance and ran for her, hugging her tightly and inspecting her for any damage.