Babysitter

Somehow Sigyn, Finan, Osferth and Sihtric had ended up playing babysitters in Saltwic. Things had been slightly tense the first couple of weeks, Sihtric spent most of his time with Finan who played mind games with him. Sigyn and Stiorra had grown close, the younger woman looked up to the shield maiden and was also trying to play matchmaker by fixing things between the married couple.

Sigyn felt sick most days, after the first week she noticed how her monthly bloods haven't arrived and she prayed nightly to the gods to bring them to her. But after the second week she had come to terms with the fact that she was going to become a mother. It had been months since she last lay with her husband, and her body was already starting to change.

Standing in one of the bedrooms she turned to the side, tugging at the leathers in an attempt to stretch the fabric over her swollen stomach. Thankfully, it was still small enough to hide but if anyone was ever to see her naked form they would know instantly. Her breasts and stomach swollen.

"There are soldiers! Soldiers are coming!" Stiorra shouted to them all and when everyone grabbed their weapons she was quick to stand in front of the door. "No. We have a plan." Her eyes looked at little Aelfwynn and Aethelstan who seemed to understand what was happening. "Remember, just like we practised. The rest of you, hide."

Young Uhtred took the children at his sister's command. Stiorra helping her fathers' men hide but when she approached Sigyn she smiled softly. Leading her over to a wardrobe and pulling out a midnight blue dress. If the men saw Sigyn now they'd know she was a warrior. But put her in a pretty dress, they wouldn't think she was a threat. She changed quickly but the velvet dress highlighted her growing bump. Thankfully Sihtric was hiding somewhere and wouldn't see her like this.

Stiorra opened the door to the soldiers who made it clear that they were looking for the young princess.

"We need to take her back to Aegelesburg." The leader of the soldiers seemingly growing bored of this charade. He barged past the young girl who seemed to ignore it all with a smile.

Sigyn now stood in the kitchen, ironically pretending to be cooking and when the men were searching the house she rolled her eyes. "You're too late. A man called Uhtred has already been and taken the princess. He is taking her to Winchester. They left days ago." The man was already distracted with her beauty, growing closer to her as he invaded her personal space. His heavy hands pressing on her growing bump.

"Where is your husband? Didn't you hear that it's dangerous out here? Danes wander these hills. They murder, they rape." His fingers moved a little lower until she smacked his hand away. He got away easily, she wanted to slice him in half with her axe for touching her without permission.

"He will return in a few hours; he went into town for supplies. My child will not survive on scraps." Thankfully, the rest of the soldiers finished searching the house and ended up finding nothing. The soldiers reluctantly left, and Stiorra hugged the older woman.

She whispered softly into Sigyn's ear. "Congratulations. It is a blessing." It had taken weeks but that's exactly how Sigyn saw it now. This child would bring new meaning into her life.

Stiorra helped Osferth and Finan out of their hiding places and then Uhtred arrived, he had clearly raced here fearing the worst. His arms nearly smothering his daughter in a protective hug, his eyes falling on Sigyn's bump and his gaze made her grow tense. This dress was revealing everything.

"Where are the children?" He asked curiously and Stiorra opened the gates, she whistled and Young Uhtred walked out of the long grass with both children in tow. Unharmed and very much alive.

"Where is Sihtric?" Finan asked curiously and then he seemed to drop from the ceiling in front of them all, making them all jump and he laughed loudly. Until his eyes fell on his wife. The wife that had been avoiding him for weeks. Clearly hiding a big secret from him.