Lies and deceit

It was about two days before her husband returned home. There was no time for a hello, they were expecting a visit. Uhtred, Finan and Sihtric had been allowed to escape the camp at Eoferwic. The forever loyal Aldhelm had helped them to escape and Sigyn knew his life would be the price for such a thing. But she hoped Aethelstan would see sense before he inflicted such a fate on someone who had been nothing but loyal to his family all of these years. He had even earned Sigyn's respect.

The men hid as it was Osbert who opened the gates to the small army of men. They all claimed it was a peaceful visit ordered by Uhtred but of course they all knew differently. The men were allowed inside the gates, the gates closing behind them before the men realised, they had walked right into a trap. Their leader, a man Sigyn didn't recognise was thrown into the prison and the rest of the men were killed. The man was called Ingilmundr, he was definitely unlike any priest or holy man that Sigyn had met. She left Uhtred and the men in the hall, offering to swap places with one of the servants that would deliver the prisoners food.

"Whoever sent you to become Aethelstan's most trusted man was smart. You have blinded him." Sigyn pushed the plate of food through the small hole in the cell door. "I am curious to know though, Ingilmundr. Do you actually care for the King?" Of course, there was silence, he refused to eat the food or acknowledge the water brought for him. "I heard you were born a Dane. Uhtred says how you scrambled for your blade when you thought he was going to kill you. You were ready for Valhalla."

There was a slight smirk on the males' lips before he moved to his feet, he stood by the bars. His eyes glancing over her body, spotting the armour she had hidden beneath the fancy silk dress she was hiding behind. "Of course, you are the warrior woman we have been warned about."

"Most of us women fight beside our men. And as usual we are always underestimated. Women are seen as weak, pitiful creatures. You might just live long enough to feel my wrath. I will gladly take your life to free Aethelstan from your clutches." Sigyn thought about it, driving an axe straight into his skull but until she could learn who he really was or why he had been sent to cause such anarchy.

"If you kill me, the King will not just kill you in response. He will take your family, your husband. Everything you hold dear. He will take it all from you without any hesitation. I have that much power over him. He will even kill Uhtred if I ask it of him." He was cocky, too sure of himself and Sigyn wanted nothing more than to destroy him, but she couldn't risk her family being punished for it. For her anger and impulsiveness to ruin the life she had built for herself.

Sigyn would however leave her mark, she reached between the bars and grabbed for his cross. The heavy false symbol and pulled him towards the bars with such force his nose automatically popped on impact and the blood poured down his cheeks and chin. She let him go, allowing him to fall into the dirt as she quickly left the room. Passing one of the female servants on the way.

When Sigyn returned to her home she wasn't shocked to see that Sihtric didn't return, he was sharing a drink for Aldhelm. Respecting his memory and how he had sacrificed himself for the good of a united land.

For the next couple of days, the men continued to drink, mourn the loss of their friend and Sigyn had silently been preparing her loyal followers. She knew Aethelstan would come to reclaim his friend and that Bebbanburg would never be ready for that kind of attack. The castle would fall if it were attacked by the Kings army.

She had just finished training with some of her men when she felt her heart sink. She watched as the man she had threatened a mere three days ago was now free from his prison. Uhtred, Finan and Sihtric being restrained by Aethelstan's men. Her hand gripped her sword tightly, her knuckles turning white from the force of her grip. Her husband had never been this outnumbered and there was no way he could fight his way out this time.