Battle of Cnut

Mere hours after their little rendezvous in the river they were covered in blood, fighting side by side. Cnut had fallen for the trap, letting his anger at Uhtred take over and even he had fallen into the ditch. Brida seemed to be the only one who was hesitant about charging into battle. It felt good to be on the battlefield, the adrenaline pumping through her veins and her axe and sword taking out anyone who dared to get too close. She watched in awe as Sihtric threw someone over his shoulder and stabbed them without even breaking a sweat and she felt a familiar fire building in her body. She was obsessed with him. Watching him fight and kill did things to her she was almost too ashamed to admit. 

As her eyes stared at him, she dropped her guard momentarily, until one of Cnut's men had bashed her face with his shield. Her nose popping, blood covering her cheek as the force made her drop to her knees. Quickly wiping the blood away with the back of her hand she dodged the mans sword, her own sword driving deep into his stomach before she twisted it.

When the Welsh armies finally advanced on Cnut's men, it was over quickly. Sihtric didn't waste a moment before he was holding her face in his hands, tilting her head under the sunlight to inspect the damage. If he had known she was distracted during the battle because of him, he would have felt horrible but thankfully he was clueless.

"It's okay. Really. It will heal." She spoke quickly, the blood had finally stopped. And she had enough experience in resetting her nose now that with one quick movement she had popped it back into place.

Finan and Osferth soon joined them, the Welsh gathering up their prisoners and taking all of the spoils from the battlefield. They were all bloodied. But no one could find Uhtred. They knew he was set on killing Cnut. Especially because of his involvement in Ragnar's death, but Cnut was unpredictable. They all hoped he hadn't managed to pull one over on Uhtred.

Returning to their camp in the search of water and ale, Uhtred had finally made himself known again. Cnut was dead, Brida was handed over to the Welsh with the other prisoners and maybe life would be calm for a while?

"We will be returning with Aethelflaed to Saltwic. She has gone ahead with her soldiers. I told her we would follow after we have rested. I'm taking my daughter back to Coccham" Sigyn handed him a tankard of ale and he drank it's contents in seconds. This battle had weighed heavy on him. Handing over someone who he no longer recognised. Someone who threatened his very existence.

"Will we remain there for a while?" Finan asked curiously, just eager to enjoy his drink and the company of women for a while. And to just take a break from the fighting.

"Until someone else calls upon us." Uhtred knew that it was always in his destiny. To win battles for everyone else. But he had missed out on so much of his children's lives already and wanted to try and be there from now on.

"Maybe enough time to have a child." Sihtric whispered into her ear and her body slightly tensed but thankfully she hid it well. She wanted to give him children. Give him that happiness because she knew he would be an amazing father. But she didn't want to be a stay-at-home mother. She craved the battlefield.

The rest of the night was spent drinking, all of them falling asleep beneath the stars and in close quarters. Their sleeping forms hidden by the trees. When the sun started to peak through the brush she groaned, covering her eyes before moving to her feet when it was clear she wouldn't be able to fall back asleep.

"Wake up, Princesses." She spoke groggily before washing away her dry mouth with fresh water. Tapping them all with her left foot, one by one so they were awake too.

Osferth was nursing another one of his famous hangovers. Finan as annoying and alert as ever. Sihtric was the last one to wake. Chuckling to himself as she had to resort to kneeling beside him and pouring some water onto his face.