The last kingdom

(A little time jump in this one)

Over the next few days Uhtred, Edward and Constantin were locked away discussing their next step. What steps they will put in place to ensure peace between the lands for years to come. So, the Danes and Saxons can live in peace together. So, the children could grow up knowing only peace instead of war.

Sihtric had been busy with Finan, his time and attention on rebuilding the buildings in town and honestly, Sigyn could find herself getting a little jealous. It had been two whole years since she had seen her husband and now it was almost as if he were avoiding her. She would get to the bottom of it all when he returned to their rooms late that night.

Eadith was watching the babe again, it seemed like both of the women would be staying within the walls of Bebbanburg. Even the Lady Aelswith had found herself a room between the walls. The streets ripe with Saxon and Dane people, living together in peace and triumph. It truly was all that she had hoped for. To live among each other in peace.

Sigyn had managed to find a beautiful red silk dress, one that fit her body perfectly and she had braided her hair in a way that she knew Sihtric liked. She had prepared a lamb stew for their dinner and filled the jugs of ale ready for him coming home. When he returned, he seemed oblivious to what she was wearing, only eager for food and drink after a long day.

"How is the town?" She eventually asked as she sat opposite him on the table, playing with her food because he wasn't truly in the mood to eat right now. She just wanted to be alone with her husband and enjoy the comfort of his body against hers, but he didn't seem to notice her failed attempts since they had been reunited.

"We have nearly finished rebuilding the houses. We will restore Bebbanburg to its former greatness." He did however smile across at his wife, acknowledging her for the first time that day. She smiled back at her husband, they seemed to be stuck in some rut or something. Or maybe he was used to being without her.

"I have sent word to Astrid; she will be joining us any day now. So, we can all remain here in peace." She stood from her chair now, swallowing the wine from her cup before she moved to stand beside Sihtric. He finally moved his head to look at her once her hands were pressed against his shoulders and his chair was pushed backwards against the floor. "Tell me husband, do you still desire me?" She felt the shift in the air, the sudden nervous expression on his face. "Or have there been others since we have been apart?"

"There will never be anyone else for me. You know this." He finally spoke with confidence, his hands moving to her hips as if he didn't truly believe that she was real. It had been two years since they had been this close. "I just count my blessings you returned to me."

"We are connected. I will always return to you. I have missed you." Her right hand gently trailed against his cheek, falling to his chest before her palm settled against the front of his breeches. "I have missed this." She felt him harden against her touch in seconds, bringing a sigh of relief to her own lips. He still found her attractive it seemed. She felt his body tense once more as he watched when she took a small step back, her hands reaching behind her back to unbutton the back of her dress. His breath hitched in his throat as the fabric dropped to her feet and she stepped out of it, her naked body being revealed to him once again. She stood before him, vulnerable and waiting for his resolve to snap, to tempt him like before.

"After all these years. You are still playing games with me. Seeing how far you may push me until I break." He moved to his feet now before her and she smiled across at him, the innocent smile she placed on her lips when she was playing coy. She picked up her cup of wine, sipping some of the liquid before purposefully dropping some of the red liquid onto her breasts and she watched as his jaw visibly twinged as he watched the liquid pool against her heavy breasts.