A new day

Even though both men were essentially awaiting their execution, they were relatively calm around Sigyn. They knew they would be safe until Uhtred arrived and even then, they knew their deaths wouldn't be so anticlimactic. But Sigyn was ruled by anger and vengeance. She wouldn't back down so easily. Sihtric was making them all breakfast on the fire, Finan already drinking and Sigyn was pacing. She was fed up with waiting now. The days passing far too slowly for her liking. She couldn't risk being around Sihtric any longer, their nights spent talking and she was learning to understand him. As she paced around the camp, she was just watching the roads in the hopes that Uhtred would arrive early.

The men watched her and sure they could have made a run for it but they knew she would track them down and risk her wrath again.

"What of your woman?" Finan whispered over his tankard, he had noticed the way Sihtric had been acting around Sigyn. He seemed to genuinely enjoy being her prisoner because it gave them time together.

His shoulders instantly shrugged, breaking his eyes from Sigyn to focus on the meats he was cooking. "Do you think Uhtred would let me marry her?" His head nodded towards Sigyn. But her back was to them both, but she was still in earshot of their words.

Sigyn had tensed hearing the words, he still wanted his woman. And now, he wanted to marry her. Did their talks mean so little? But then again she had made it clear she would still kill him.

"You think she will marry you? She wants to.." Before Finan could finish his sentence, they watched as Sigyn had crossed through their camp and headed to the river. They could still see her in the distance and both men were a little confused by her sudden urge to bathe and to leave them unguarded.

They were trying to gather their weapons, ready to abandon her and test their luck by running but both were caught in a trance as she removed her clothes. All they saw was her back and bare ass, but it had them both glued to the spot. Until Sihtric had reached over to punch Finan's arm to make him stop looking at her.

"I want her." Sihtric finally admitted as he continued to watch the golden-haired beauty in the river. She was dangerous, deadly but he knew there was another layer to her. A vulnerable one. One he had witnessed before.

"I think you've had too many hits to the head boy." Finan warned, finishing his cup of ale before eating his breakfast. Sihtric finally turning his back to her, eating too. And when she finally returned her food was cold but she seemed genuinely surprised both men were still there as she sat opposite them. Her fingers brushing through her wet locks as the heat from the fire and the sun helped dry her hair.

"I've decided, if Uhtred accepts my terms to make the square and fight me one on one. I will let you both live." She stabbed at the meat on her plate, not feeling particularly hungry in that moment and she could feel them staring at her. "Unless you'd rather die?"

"And deprive all of the women of my charms? I wouldn't be horrible to them." Finan smiled but she refused to even look at him. Finally, she placed the food back down, untouched and climbed to her feet.

"You're free to go. Bring him to me when he returns or I will come and find you." She warned, leaning against one of the trees and Finan had already taken off running, hoping to find women and more ale.

"What changed?" Sihtric asked as he slowly packed his bag, desperate to spend a little more time with her before she threw herself into this battle she couldn't possibly win.

"You weren't the one to kill her. Yes, you are to blame. But it wasn't your hands that robbed her of her life. Plus, I heard you wanted to marry your woman. Who am I to stand in front of true love?" The words felt bitter leaving her tongue, but she didn't realise at the time it was her own jealousy talking.