Battle of the Danes

Sleep had never come so easily, falling asleep beside her new husband. She was peaceful, probably for the first time in her life. When her eyes opened she found she was the first one to wake up and she just found herself observing his handsome features. Surely she was dreaming, after all of the heartbreak in her life she had finally found something that made up for it all.

"Stop watching me." He spoke in a gruff tone, her laughter instantly filling the room. She had been caught red handed and there was no point trying to deny it.

"Stop looking like that." His eyes finally opened and he smiled at her. Within seconds she had straddled his lap, kissing him and already seeking his comfort. Her hips moved slowly, grinding her hips down against his and making him groan as the friction made his morning wood grow larger. His large hands grasping at her ass through her thin shift. He could honestly spend every waking moment inside of her but they both knew they were on borrowed time. Cnut and his armies would arrive at any moment. Their lips battled for control, when she felt a shift in their weight she was soon buried beneath him in the pile of covers and she giggled up at him as his eyes scanned over her face.

"Gods, you're beautiful

"Gods, you're beautiful." Sigyn felt her cheeks flush a little at the comment. And to think at one point she had wanted to kill him, to torture him for his role in her sisters death. But now, she was his wife and she felt joy like never before. Just as he leaned back down to kiss her, the door to their rooms was pushed open and Finan rushed inside.

He had the decency to cover his eyes at least, but he stood by the bed for the longest time. "Cnut's men are coming. We need you guys to stop touching each other for a minute and be the warriors you're supposed to be." Still he stood there, until he felt Sihtric pushing him back towards the door and once they were alone again they shared one final kiss before getting changed. It was a task, to try and control themselves but the increasing noise outside made them aware of how close the men were.

When they reached the wall, Uhtred stood there with his prize. Cnut's sons. This would be their only shot of getting the men to leave without bloodshed. Sigyn stood between Finan and Sihtric, her right hand always holding the pommel of her sword just in case. The men approached the walls, they demanded the Lady Aethelflaed but thankfully it seemed that Uhtred had already helped her escape to safety. The leader of Cnut's men, who went by the name Bjorgulf wouldn't leave empty handed.

"You leave or the death of Cnut's sons will be on your hands." Uhtred had declared and the men seemed to laugh. They clearly didn't believe the two boys belonged to Cnut.

"You expect us to believe that you have his sons? When the boys are safe." The Dane army laughed, and it pissed everyone off. But when she saw Finan and Sihtric pull out their daggers and hold it to the children's throats she felt her body tense, it suddenly dawned on her. She was a wife now. Would he expect her to be a mother too?

"Then you leave us no choice. You can take the body to Cnut and explain how you allowed one of his heirs to be slain." The words casually left Uhtred's mouth but surely the righteous Uhtred wouldn't kill an innocent child?