True lord of Bebbanburg

Sigyn and Stiorra set up camp about a mile away from Bebbanburg. They could see the daunting gates from their tents. They were so close to achieving their dreams. Sigyn felt more alive than she had in months, knowing her husband was so close to her. She guarded the tent where her son slept peacefully, he was eating more solid food now and wasn't so reliant on her breast, so she didn't feel as bad for leaving the child for long hours when it came to training. Her sworn swords were eager for battle, for bloodshed and in all honesty – so was Sigyn. She just wanted her family to be whole again. But before that she would strike down anyone in her path.

When the sun broke their armies were met with King Edward and his men had joined the battlefield. But she could sense the reluctance in him to attack. To save his niece, to help Uhtred after everything he had given up for Edward and his father, Alfred. Sigyn gave Osferth his morning feed, before dressing into her armours for what she hoped would be the last time. Her hair pulled back into tight braids, and she was ready for battle. But first, she would remind Edward of his promise to her. Otherwise, she would burn Cent to the ground. Not waiting for permission, she burst into his tent. Watching as he quickly scrambled to cover his bare chest beneath his furs.

"Sigyn. You cannot just barge in on a King." He was flustered, no one had ever been so disrespectful to him. Even before he was a King. No one would ever dare.

"All I see before me is a weak man, blinded by his cock. Not willing to fight for his family. Or what is best for his people. What do you think will happen if you let Scotia take these lands? It will not stop there. They will become greedy and try to conquer all of our lands. Your lands. Your people will be killed." Sigyn was quite angry with him. She truly thought that men were weak rulers. The only people capable of such things so far were Uhtred or the late Lady Aethelflaed. She was a wise and great ruler, always putting her people before herself in all things. Sigyn would be the same if she wasn't a warrior.

"I will not risk a war with King Constantin. That is what is best for my people." He tried to convince her that was some method behind his madness. "If a marriage to Lady Aelfwynn is what he wants and I know it will ensure peace, then he will have my blessing."

"You would marry that sweet innocent girl to a man double her age? She is your blood, not a political pawn you may maneuverer for your own gain." Sigyn even considered striking the King, but she knew her head would be forfeit. Regardless of who her husband was. "My husband is trapped in those walls, protecting your family. Your blood. You will fight beside me, or I will tell my men to burn Cent down to the ground. Your wife will never have her lands back."

"Why must you always give me such a headache?" Edward groaned, Sigyn reminded him so much of his mother. Strong minded. And he knew she would never back down and that her threats weren't empty. "I will fight. I will keep my word to you, but I will not risk open war with Scotia."

"If you flee now, King Constantin will see you as weak. You need to fight. Remind everyone why Wessex and King Edward should be feared." He nodded and ushered her out of his tent so he could finally finish changing into his own armour.

The armies outside readied themselves, the Saxons preparing for battle in a vastly different way to the Danes. The Danes welcomed the battle, the Saxons would fight but they were less welcoming of their fates. They had their heaven and the Danes had Valhalla. Each of them welcomed death at least. Sigyn just hoped to survive long enough to see her family reunited.