Meeting the seven Kings

Sigyn didn't want to fall asleep again, to leave herself vulnerable in front of the male who continued to watch her. But eventually pure exhaustion had claimed her into a deep sleep. Her body ached when daylight awoke her a second time, having to sleep in an uncomfortable position against a tree because of how her body was bound. Thankfully she was alone. Quickly she turned, trying to use the bark on the tree to cut her binds but before she cut through the first layer of rope the man had returned with food and water for her.

"You need to eat, keep up your strength. My scouts tell me war is coming." He placed the bowl and cup before her feet, reaching to pull at her binds which caused her to hiss at the sensitive flesh. He chuckled as he cut away the remaining rope, but he left her feet bound. "Eat."

"And if I refuse?" She questioned while rubbing at her sore reddened and bloodied flesh around her wrists. Her thoughts going back to all those horrible years ago when Ivar had taken her as his prisoner. So far, this man had been somewhat kind to her, he could have been a lot worse.

"How about we do not find out?" He grinned, his rotted teeth nearly making her gag again, but she reluctantly reached for the bowl. The spoon stirred the watered-down porridge oats, and she finally had a spoonful and he continued to smile. "I am King Anlaf. Of Irland. I give you my word I will not have to hurt you if you keep doing as I say."

"Why didn't you just kill me like the others?" There was some hidden agenda. Did he truly think she would fight against her friends? She would risk her place in Valhalla and throw herself off the nearest tall building to protect herself from that fate.

"I made a promise to a friend, a long time ago. That if I ever encountered the famous shield maiden Sigyn, I would spare her. I would bring her back to him." Instantly she felt chills. If she hadn't witnessed Ivar being beheaded by Sihtric right in front of her, she would worry that he somehow survived and was still after her. He smirked at the terror that filled her face, seemingly enjoying having her true emotions show for the first time since he had taken her. "Sigyn Einardottir." She hadn't heard her full name since she was a child, since before they had been left orphans after her fathers passing. Even Sihtric - her husband, hadn't known her true last name.

 Even Sihtric - her husband, hadn't known her true last name

"How do you know that?" There was no way. No way her father was alive after all these years. Old age would have claimed him. But he died almost thirty years ago, he had drunk himself into an early grave after the sudden loss of her mother.

"I knew your father. He left two of his children under my care. Two boys." Brothers. Was it truly possible? All of her life she only had Skade. Now she was finding out she had other family. Brothers.

"It can't be true. My father died, leaving me and my sister by ourselves." Sigyn sipped some of the water in front of her, trying to process everything she was learning. It seems she had been lied to her entire life. The only honesty she had experienced was from her husband.