Battle of Brunanburh

King Aethelstan stood with his armies and would fight with everything he had, he needed vengeance desperately. He had been played for a lovesick fool. He had lost friends, nearly lost all of his followers in the process. But of course, Uhtred would stand by his side and in turn he also had Sihtric and Finan there in support too. But his army was yet to make the first move, Sigyn had been in another battles and wars with Uhtred that she knew he would have something up his sleeve. There would be some hidden tactic behind it all.

Anlaf was already assuming that the lack of fighting meant that the other army was scared, they knew they would be overpowered and destroyed so they didn't want to initiate the fight. So Anlaf ordered the front line of his men to charge ahead. The men were wild, bloodthirsty and eager for a fight. Then the screams of agony and pain filled the air. Sigyn couldn't hold back her laughter when she noticed the spikes that had been planted, bringing grown men to their knees as they cried out in pain.

"Don't just stand there! The rest of you. Go!" Anlaf was practically screaming his orders now. The rest of the men and women slightly reluctant to make charge until they were passing the injured on the field. There was no more hidden surprises or traps set for the soldiers and it was a clear path for a fight. This was it.

Sigyn pushed past her brothers with such force she nearly knocked them both down to their feet as she ran ahead of most of Anlaf's men. When they started getting in her way, that was when she started to strike them down. Their bodies falling by her feet, leaving an obstacle behind her so no one could catch up to her. Still, she was yet to see Aethelstan's army make any form of movement or counterattack, they remained in a shield wall. And her confusion only continued to spread when she saw them retreating.

"My dear Aunt, where do you think you are going?" Ingilmundr grabbed Sigyn from behind, his grip on her arms made her drop her sword but she swiftly threw her head back. Her skull colliding with his nose with a sickening crunch. He quickly dropped her and when he did, she scrambled for her blade and ran away from his clutches. As soon as he dropped her, he locked eyes with Aethelstan across the battlefield.

The second she started running again she realised that the retreat was tactical, her eyes catching sight of the armies gathered behind Anlaf's men. A smile barely formed on her face before she was hit hard in the face by a shield, being sent to her knees as the blood poured from her head and her blonde hair quickly became bloodstained. Her vision blurring instantly as she scrambled to her feet. It was hard to fight when she could barely focus, barely able to protect herself. When it all became too much she fell to her knees, exhausted and bloodied – ready for Valhalla. To accept her fate. But then she heard it, that beautiful war cry of her husband. She was still so far from him. But just hearing that inspired her to fight again. Her shield protecting her in the last moment before the killer blow was delivered. When the shield disorientated her attacker, she quickly shoved her sword deep inside his gut, twisting the blade before using her last bit of energy to cut his throat.