Loss never gets easier

Sigyn had managed to find a horse, she had travelled two days on horseback already with no rest. She needed to get to her sister before anything happened. The ship would be faster, but Skade was smart. She would see her older sister coming and buy herself time. And if anything did happen to her, then Sigyn would kill Uhtred and all of his men. She would put their heads on spikes.

When she arrived at Coccham, it was quiet. Too quiet. She abandoned her horse on the outskirts, she could see the ship at the docks they made their escape on and when she went to the river she wished she hadn't. Floating in the water for everyone to see, dead and blue was her baby sister. She dropped to her knees and thought she left out a bloodcurdling scream, but no sound came out. Reaching to grab her sister from the water she placed her in the ship, crying to herself as she filled the boat with various oils from the lanterns at the dock. She let the ship be carried away from the docks, taking a deep breath before firing a flaming arrow and setting the whole thing ablaze. Giving her sister a proper funeral.

Her murderous gaze now turned to the little village

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Her murderous gaze now turned to the little village. The gates were open, like it was a safe haven even though they had just killed someone in cold blood. Her sword was drawn, skulking towards the building. She could hear voices through the walls, only two. And when she heard Osferth's she knew she couldn't burn the building down like she had wanted. She would kill Uhtred, she would spend the rest of her life killing him but she wouldn't kill Osferth. He would be the only one she spared. She hesitated by the building, trying to gather her thoughts when Uhtred spoke about Finan and Sihtric and how they were back in Winchester. She decided to find them, bring them back here and make Uhtred watch as she takes kills them. Letting him feel her pain.

Sigyn would have traded places with her sister in a heartbeat. Allowing her to live but that choice was taken from her. Her baby sister left discarded in the river like she was nothing, no one. The pain was unbearable, so she did all she could do and buried those feelings. Letting her need for vengeance consume her. She would become the living embodiment of Uhtred's curse.

Her horse was exhausted by the time they finally arrived at Winchester. Taking her to the stables so she could eat and rest after their long journey. Her right hand gently stroking down the mare's neck. "Rest, you have deserved it." She left the stables and walked the busy streets. People stared but not as many as she thought, but these townspeople were used to Uhtred and his men. They didn't seem phased by a Dane walking amongst them.

Reaching the inn she paid for a meal and some ale, knowing she would need her strength to take down both Finan and Sihtric. The inn was relatively quiet, apart from one corner which was filled with laughter. So, she decided to sit as far away from the noise as she could.

She had barely managed to eat some of the bread and chicken before she heard it. The thick Irish accent from the corner she had avoided and already she wanted to cut his throat just to silence him. Washing down the food in her mouth she left her table to approach the group in the corner. It was just Finan, some guards and plenty of women.