Dead man walking

It had been weeks since she had been taken as Ivar's prisoner. He had tried to break her in every way possible. He wouldn't leave her alone for two minutes, worried she would escape again so she wasn't allowed to bathe. Now covered in dirt, bruises from her arguing back and her broken wrist was finally allowed to be placed in a sling.

"I'm going to kill you, you know." She made another promise, he seemed unbothered though as he ate his breakfast and she once again refused to eat anything he brought her.

"Why do you starve yourself? Is life with me really that bad?" He questioned and without any hesitation she nodded instantly. Even if she wasn't married, or in love with another – she would never be Ivar's. He killed her child. Doomed her for a life of pain and torture.

"You killed my daughter. I could never forgive that. You claim you didn't know what the Saxon's did to me, fine. But you willingly killed her." He tensed a little, like he finally realised where his little plan had gone so terribly wrong. But he didn't say anything. Instead, the raised voices outside caused him to grab her by the sling and drag her outside to the walls to see what was happening.

Sigtryggr was asking Edward to pick and choose between his children. Pick which heir lived. Sigyn desperately searched the crowds of warriors, hoping to make eye contact with her husband. Let him know she was alive. But the men were too far away.

Edward refused to pick and Sigyn closed her eyes, not wanting to watch anymore innocent children lose their lives but then she heard Uhtred. His voice instantly radiating hope through her whole entire body. Until he offered himself as a prisoner. In exchange for the boys.

Sigtryggr knew that if Uhtred lived, he would never be able to keep Winchester, so he agreed. Uhtred was walked up to the castle gates by his loyal men and Sigyn finally locked eyes with her husband. His body grew tense when he saw her, bruised and battered. Finan was visibly angry and when she mouthed the word 'Ivar' he knew exactly what this meant.

"All this, for him?" Ivar spoke in distaste as he glared over at Sihtric who never once took his eyes off his wife. "He is the man you choose over me?"

"Every single day." She spoke clearly, the most fire she had in days, and he was already searching to extinguish it. He grabbed at her broken wrist, pulling her against his front as he kissed her. The display infuriating everyone and when he pulled back to smirk at the men, she made him keel over as she kneed him in the groin. But she was quickly pulled down by the ropes around her neck and her screams filled the air as he took all of his frustrations out on her.

"Uhtred! We need to do something." Sihtric was growing desperate, hearing her screams and her being so close but the walls still separating them. Soon the screams stopped, and his worry reached a new high.

"No worries. I'll tame the little bitch." Ivar shouted before moving back to his feet, a bloodied and unconscious Sigyn over his shoulder.

"Sigtryggr. If I come inside, I want Sigyn away from him." Uhtred demanded and already Brida and Ivar were complaining and protesting.

"Ivar, drop the woman. I said I would help you find her, not torture her." When Ivar didn't let her go, Sigtryggr gave his men an unspoken command with one look. They pried the limp body from his arms and freed her of all her bindings. "Take her to the others."

Uhtred finally accepted his fate, walking through the gates to meet with Sigtryggr. Finan finally told Sihtric everything about Ivar that he had learned from Sigyn, and he wanted to burn the whole town to the ground to free her from his grasp.

When Sigyn awoke she could barely see, her eyes nearly swollen shut and her face covered in purple bruises. She heard a small gasp and her eyes focused on a blonde woman she didn't recognise and an older man. "Who are you?"