A happy family

Over the next couple of months everyone had stayed in Winchester. Sigyn had all the support she could have ever dreamed of. Sihtric would do pretty much everything for her. Uhtred, Finan and Osferth were always rallying around her too. It was sweet, knowing how much people seemed to care for her. Her stomach was obviously swollen with child, no more denying it as the townsfolk asked.

"Please. I am tired of this bed Sihtric. These four walls. Let us go and enjoy some fresh air." Sigyn pleaded, he had let her carry on like usual until a few days ago and now she hadn't been able to leave their home and as much as she craved a peaceful life, she hated it.

"We can go for a walk. But you know they will want to accompany us. They worry for you." Sihtric spoke softly as he helped braid her hair, her hair finally growing back to her normal length over the last few peaceful months.

"And I love them for it, but I just want some time alone with you. Before our child arrives and we will never get a moments peace again." He smiled at her now, chuckling softly as he kissed the top of her head and moved to his feet. From the smile on his face, she knew she had won. "I love you!" She grinned excitedly, kissing him softly before rushing off to get changed into something more appropriate. Her dress was a crimson red, furs covering her shoulders to protect her from the cold chill.

"You're a Goddess." He confessed as she approached him again. She was so beautiful. Pregnancy making her glow in a way he could never understand. But he could appreciate it. She hadn't complained once during her pregnancy, even when the babe was making her empty her stomach daily. He took her hand with a genuine smile, leading her out of their home and into the streets of Winchester. It was late, so most people were drinking or sleeping.

The stars were shining brightly above them. It was just nice to be outside, enjoying some alone time with her husband. Or so she thought. They walked too closely to the tavern, and she should have known Finan had taken up permanent residence there. He was always there since Eadith decided to leave after recovering from her injuries.

"You should be at home resting. Uncle Finan demands it." Osferth sat quietly beside him, drinking his ale.

"I needed air. It's only for an hour. Now go back to your cups and women. Uncle Finan." She rolled her eyes playfully at him. "Try to sober up though. The babe could come any day." Her left hand settled on her bump, turning back to her husband as they walked away. Walking to the direction of the gates, as if they would leave Winchester.

"You want to go into the woods? Are you sure?" Sihtric asked her, not wanting her to tire herself out but when she looked at him with those pleading eyes he was already leading her through the gates. "I have an idea. Follow me." His fingers laced with her own, he walked at a pace she was comfortable with until they found a clearing in one of the fields. Letting go of her hand for a moment he removed his own furs, laying them against the grass and helping her to lay back against them so she could watch the stars. His eyes taking in every second of the mesmerising scene before him. The way the moonlight kissed her skin. She was so beautiful.

"Come. Join me." She smiled over at him, and he was already kneeling beside her. Her index finger hooking around his chain, dragging him closer by Thor's hammer. Their lips soon meeting in a soft kiss. The first few weeks after the hell she went through with Ivar, she trembled whenever her husband touched her. But that didn't last long. They made love daily, for months.

His body was settled against hers, his lips lost in hers and when there was a small kick from the babe, they both broke the kiss to laugh softly. The child was moving more with every passing day and honestly, the feeling made Sigyn's heart flutter. The more the child moved the less she worried about losing another child. This child was a natural born fighter. And she would go through hell to ensure they lived.