King Uhtred

The following days had brought news from Winchester. Aethelstan had been crowned King. He was furious that Uhtred wasn't there. That Uhtred didn't show his support for the new King. That he didn't declare him King of Northumbria like he had promised. But it was clear to the people of Bebbanburg that Aethelstan had someone pulling the strings, someone who was getting him to make these bad decisions. An influencer. This wasn't the Aethelstan they all knew, loved and respected. Something was happening to him. When the news came that he had reclaimed Eoferwic as his and would force the townspeople to pay tribute to their new King and how he would only accept the religion of Christians from now on. The rebellion was ready to start.

"He cannot force people to believe in a God who doesn't exist. The townspeople will rebel if they feel forced. We must go and see him, speak some sense into that brain of his." Uhtred angrily swallowed his remaining food.

"There are only two things in this world which can cause a man to act this crazy. Lust for power or love for another. I cannot see Aethelstan swayed by power." Sigyn spoke above the music played in the halls. The boy was in love. Then it dawned on her, Aethelstan had only been around monks these last few months. She quickly fell silent, not wanting to be the one to reveal such a secret about someone she had watched grow from a small child. The fact he was in love with another man didn't bother Sigyn, but the fact he was letting himself be easily swayed is what upset her.

"The boy, in love? When has he had time to meet a woman?" Finan laughed over his jug of ale and Sihtric was quiet. He seemed to have pieced it all together too. But he also wouldn't reveal such a secret about someone he has treated like his own son.

"I will go and see him tomorrow, will you both come with me?" Uhtred asked his faithful and loyal friends; he knew they would never say no to him. His eyes then fell onto Sigyn who still seemed lost in her thoughts about Aethelstan. "I wish for you to remain here, protect the town. Protect the Queen."

"You remember how I became Lady of Cent, do you not? I killed her father. I doubt she will want my help." Remembering her ex-husband Gregor seemed like a lifetime ago. A ridiculous mistake she made in the search of her own wealth and power. How she wished she never left Sihtric that night.

"You killed someone before they could rape you. They got off lightly." Sihtric mumbled under his breath, the thought of anyone hurting his wife was enough to drive him insane. Turn his normal calm exterior into the bloodthirsty warrior she knew he was.

The table fell quiet for a moment, clearly only Sihtric had known about her short-lived marriage to Gregor and the truth as to why she had killed him. The rumours were very drastically different to the truth. Some claimed she wanted the land all to herself. Others claimed he wasn't her first husband to befall such a sudden death. But she wouldn't hesitate to kill anyone who would try and put their hands on someone without their permission.

There was a small noise by the door of the great hall and when the Lady Eadgifu was seen rushing from the door, Sigyn sighed softly and climbed to her feet. Signalling for Uhtred to sit back down. Eadgifu loved her father; she worshipped him so finding out he wasn't this perfect person that she imagined broke her heart all over again.

Sigyn found the Lady Eadgifu watching her son train with Osbert. The boys were pretty inseparable these days and it was nice to see. Sigyn didn't speak at first, she just stood beside Eadgifu and waited until she was ready to speak.

"Did my father truly do that to you?" She finally asked, breaking the silent tension between the pair and Sigyn could tell how much Eadgifu had grown since they first met.

"He didn't get a chance to. I've been at the mercy of men before; I always carry a dagger. It's me or them. I'm sorry. I regret a lot of what I did when I was younger, taking your home was one of them. I know you have no reason to trust me, or to even like me. But I will protect you and your son, while you remain here at Bebbanburg." Sigyn spoke softly.