Road to Bebbanburg

They had been traveling for a day. Sihtric not bothering to hide his feelings much longer as he was always by her side now. She had saved his life, in more ways than one. They spent their nights stealing kisses and promises of a better life. But this night he didn't come to her, instead she could hear them all talking around the fire.

"You still want to marry her? Are you sure?" Uhtred asked and it was only when she heard Sihtric say yes she felt the final piece of her heart break. After everything, he still wanted Ealhswith back home.

"So, do I have your permission?" He asked excitedly, he needed a Lords blessing to marry and Uhtred would never say no to his loyal friend.

"Of course, you idiot." Sigyn watched as the men laughed and joked around the fire, celebrating the engagement and she made her mind up. She couldn't stay here and watch Sihtric marry another.

She had never changed so quickly, strapping her sword and dagger to her belt as she abandoned the camp. She had managed to leave through the back of her tent and find cover in the woods. She had no idea where she would go, or what she would do. But maybe it's best if she remained alone. That way no one else could cause her pain.

If only she had stayed five more minutes, she would have known the truth. Instead, she was long gone by the time Sihtric found her tents empty and his own heart broken. The proposal was for her, it was always for her.

The roads were long and lonely, traveling from town to town to earn her riches. By the time she had reached Cent she was extremely wealthy. A year had passed. She had even attracted the eye of the Lord from there. Maybe this was her life now, living life as a Lady and ruling over her own land. She hadn't only collected her fortune, but more warriors who would follow her anywhere. She had her own personal guard of around sixty women, and forty men. They helped to bring peace to Cent and stop the fighting between the towns folk and helped to distribute the food fairly and evenly. Which caught the eye of the Lord even more. He was younger than most but had a fully grown daughter. A daughter who hated Sigyn with every fibre of her being because she saw how infatuated her father was with her.

"Lady Sigyn. Lord Gregor would like to invite you to dine with him tonight." One of the guards had presented her with this message and she considered it. Knowing this place would be the perfect settlement to grow her army until she could claim other land, like she wished. She simply nodded; a dinner wouldn't cause her so much discomfort hopefully.

When the same guard came to escort her to the keep for lunch, she had worn a dress, but the dress was covered in armour and a dagger was concealed against her thigh. She would never go anywhere unprotected. She was brought into the grand hall, greeted respectfully and presented with the finest foods and wines that Cent had to offer.

"I've been watching you for a while now. The way you are loved by the townspeople. I have a proposal for you." Gregor was already getting to business, she had barely started to eat so she washed down the food with the wine so she could respond.

"And what is that? Lord Gregor?" She asked curiously, cutting up some of the bellied pork on her plate. She knew he was watching her, she could feel his eyes on her but she didn't let it bother her. There was only one person who could impact her with just a stare and she had no idea where he was.

"I know I may be older than you would wish. But I still have plenty of years ahead of me. I wish for a new wife. She needs to be someone loved by the town's folk. And you are possibly one of the most beautiful people I have ever seen." He was clearly a charmer, she simply smiled his way before using her napkin to clean her lips.

"You wish for a Dane as a wife?" She asked him curiously, he knew who she was and he didn't seem to care but this would cause issues in other towns if they heard about this arrangement.