A Danish plea

The babe had a horrible fever, the days were long and horrible. Sigyn spent the hours constantly worried about losing another child, one who Sihtric still didn't know existed. Astrid had been a blessing; she was truly being her mothers rock through it all. Sigyn had fooled everyone into thinking she was this strong woman, but her family knew the truth. Astrid knew the truth.

The only positive during these passing weeks was that Osferth continued to eat. He remained strong and besides the cough and fever he seemed like a normal babe. He slept most of the day and would only cry when he was hungry or needed changing.

After two weeks of allowing the babe to rest it was almost as if he had never been sick to begin with. He was a normal, happy child. He was thriving and it providing Sigyn with a sense of relief she had been desperately searching for.

She knew they would have to leave again soon, to find Sihtric and the others but this little peace of a safe haven was giving her comforts she was in no hurry to leave. But then one of the scouts she had sent out had returned with distressing news. Edward had taken over Eoferwic, Sigtryggr was killed by Uhtred's hand. Beautiful stubborn Stiorra refused to bow to the King, and she was now wandering the lands as a free Dane.

"Where is Uhtred and his men now?" Sigyn asked as she carried the babe on her hip, the child had already nearly reached his first name day. Still yet to meet his father. The loneliness was truly destroying Sigyn but she hid it from her daughter. She did not want Astrid to know how badly she hurt.

"Some are in Winchester and some remain at Eoferwic. I do not know where they will go next." The man answered and she nodded her head towards the door. An unspoken order that he could leave now. And he obeyed instantly.

Of course, Sigyn knew where they would undoubtedly end up. She had dreamt it every night for the last year. Bebbanburg. It was their destiny. Osferth would grow up in Bebbanburg, surrounded by love and family. But she didn't know when that would happen. How far that destiny was in the future. Or how close it was.

Astrid returned home late that evening, she had become smitten with one of the locals and Sigyn saw how in love her daughter was so she would never deny her of her feelings. Astrid was now a young woman, her monthly bleeds had arrived. She was no longer a child. Sihtric was missing so much. Just as Sigyn was missing so much of Gunnar's life.

"Mother, Henrik has asked me to marry him." Astrid was beaming with joy, dried tears of joy even still on her cheeks and the smile warmed Sigyn's heart. She quickly approached Astrid, her hands gently cupping her cheeks as she placed a gentle kiss against her forehead.

"I know my sweet child. He had to ask my permission because we do not know where your father is at this moment." This seemed to make Astrid smile more, she was thankful that her mother supported this union. "Now, you will remain here. You will not marry until I bring your father back. Or we send word to you. Okay?"

"You're leaving? With Osferth?" Astrid asked quickly but Sigyn was already nodding before her question finished. Osferth still fed from her breast, she couldn't be too far from him. But her road would take her to Bebbanburg. She needed to raise an army of her own for her visions to come true. Uhtred would have no idea that his enemies have aligned themselves with Scotia. She only knew because the Gods have trusted her with these visions.

She spent a few more days at Coccham with her daughter Astrid, letting her enjoy her newfound happiness. But when the sun rose on the third day, she strapped Osferth across her chest, making sure he was secure before she settled onto her trusty stead. The child was older now, more secure against her as she returned to Cent. She would keep her promise and leave some men there to guard the lands, but she would build her army there and hopefully more willing swords would follow her in time.