Support

Whumpee told very few people about their ordeal. The two people who knew were Friend and Caretaker. Both seemed to have different reactions. Caretaker was extremely sympathetic, accommodating, and caring, while Friend seemed to brush it off, having the attitude that they would and could just 'get over it.'

This really came out in how each person approached Whumpee. Caretaker was gentle and slow, always making sure to make their presence known before approaching and asking before touching.

Friend seemed to find joy in sneaking up and grabbing Whumpee just to see them jump and scream out of genuine fear. They would laugh and chide Whumpee, saying they needed to get over it. That it was all in their head and that they could choose to get better if they wanted.

This, of course, made Caretaker angry, but when they asked Whumpee how they'd like to handle it, Whumpee always said that Friend was right and that they should just get over it. Caretaker knew this was said because Whumpee was afraid to stand up for their needs after such an extreme ordeal they'd had and they also didn't want to offend Friend.

Things came to an impasse when Whumpee was pouring themselves some tea and Friend decided to greet Whumpee, causing Whumpee to pour scalding hot water all over themselves. Whumpee fell to the ground shrieking as Friend looked on in horror. Caretaker came running in, took one look, and knew what had happened.

"Get out." "But I-" "I don't care. Get. Out."

While Whumpee was recovering in the hospital, Caretaker met Friend for coffee to discuss what had happened. Friend was looking a little too nonchalant for Caretaker's taste after everything that had occurred and this caused Caretaker to lose their temper.

"What kind of friend are you? Whumpee went through such a terrible trauma and you seem to relish in their fear. What kind of person are you? Because all I see is a second Whumper. If you ever - and I mean ever - scare Whumpee like that again, you will not be welcome at our house. I will not let Whumpee be hurt again like that. Do you understand me?"

Friend took a deep breath and lowered their sunglasses to show red, puffy eyes that were filled with tears. "I do understand. And I understand more than you know. I went through a very similar ordeal as Whumpee but when I got home, I had no one to look out for me. This was before I met Whumpee or you or any of my other friends. My family basically said 'figure yourself out and leave us out of it.' I had no one. Honestly I really am trying to help Whumpee, because that's how I got over my trauma, and I figured that maybe it would help Whumpee too. But I see now that I'm hurting instead of helping. And I'll leave them alone if that's what you want." Tears flowed steadily from both Friend's and Caretaker's eyes at this point.

Caretaker took Friend's hands gently and said "You don't have to put up this facade of okayness. You can be vulnerable around us. Let us know what we can do to help you, and we will make it happen. Neither of you should have had those experiences and I will make sure you are cared for as well. All you need to do is make your needs known. You need dinner because you can't be around knives tonight? Done. You need laundry done because you can't get out of bed? Taken care of. Just give me a house key and I'll come right over. I don't just have to be Whumpee's caretaker. I have room in my heart for more."

Friend blew their nose and smiled. They said "I see why Whumpee thinks so highly of you."

"Would you like to come with me and see Whumpee? They might be interested in hearing what you told me, if you're comfortable with that."

"I think that would be nice."