Whumpee Care 101

Cw: mention of restraints and malnutrition

Make sure to have a fully rested Whumpee by limiting activities that are strenuous like heavy lifting, traveling far distances on foot, etc.

Fully rested Whumpees don't just include appropriate sleep hygiene. It also means Whumpees who spend time relaxing and not using their brain to absorb new information. Reading is acceptable, reading TO them is better. Allow them to lay back and rest their body, eyes, and mind when you read to them quietly to soothe any upset.

Electric blankets are an easy way to maintain heat if your Whumpee is malnourished and cannot produce enough.

You can find fleece-lined clothing for aforementioned problem online or in stores near you for affordable prices.

If you have a Whumpee that was previously starved, do NOT feed them rich foods. Start with rice and watered down soups to save their poor tummies. They may have breads as long as it isn't too dense. Then build your way up to heavier foods.

Sometimes, kind restraints are necessary if your Whumpee cannot act safely towards themselves or people trying to help. First, try to reason with your Whumpee as they may be able to calm down if prompted verbally to speak about why they are reacting like this. If this does not work, you may need to briefly restrain until they are calm again. Do this by getting behind your Whumpee, getting your arms over, around, then underneath their arms with your hands resting on their back. Do be aware that they could knock their head into yours. The restraint works best the closer you are so you may need to duck out of the way. Be sure to talk gently and quietly to your Whumpee and reassure them that you are not upset.

Clip a bell to you or another kind of noise-making element or hum constantly so your Whumpee always knows where you are and so you don't accidentally sneak up on them. They don't need any more surprises in their life.

Don't be surprised if your Whumpee reverts backwards in age-appropriate actions as this could be them recalling a time in their life when they felt safe. Do call their therapist if you notice this to work out a support plan.

Absolutely take your Whumpee to a therapist, but be sure it is one who they feel safe with. Gender may be crucial to your Whumpee depending on previous trauma, as may experience with certain aspects in their life like religion or their gender and sexuality.

While attending these sessions, let your Whumpee know that you are willing to sit in on sessions IF THEY WANT YOU THERE unless it is pre planned with said therapist for a group meeting, intervention, or check-in.

Some Whumpees demand on helping. There are chores that can be done from the couch like folding and sorting laundry.

Getting your Whumpee home, you may notice that all they want to do is sleep. This is normal. They finally feel safe enough to let their guard down and sleep deeper than they have since their ordeal and stay in hospital.

Bandage changes may be difficult as your Whumpee may be reminded of their trauma each time you have to change them, which could be frequent. Keep their mind off of things. Learn about their passions or tell them silly stories like the time you tried to ask that pretty girl out and it went terribly and you sneezed on her by accident. You know the one.

Don't be surprised if your Whumpee finds shame in their appearance due to scarring. Do consider finding ways to safely cover them like soft clothing, makeup and possibly even tattoos if they are healed enough.

Your Whumpee may be unaccustomed to the feeling of not being restrained and may need a feeling of weight on their wrists and ankles. You can recreate this safely by using wrist and ankle weights meant for exercise or sweatbands until you can wean them off.

While your Whumpee may be sleeping a lot, they may have night terrors and scream or cry in their sleep. It will be like having a baby. The best suggestion would be to sleep when they sleep so you can be awake for their strange hours until they can get back on a schedule.