Prompt #2624

Inspired by @promptsforthestrugglingauthor on tumblr

Prompt #2624

"You're a failure."

"Yeah. But I'm ok with that."

Whumpee woke up for the first time without screaming in days. The sun filtered through onto Whumpee's blanket and danced as the wind tickled the curtains. 'Today will be a good day.'

Caretaker helped Whumpee get washed and dressed. They sat together in a calm silence as music played quietly in the background.

A knock shattered the peacefulness. "W-were you expecting someone?" Whumpee hated how their voice cracked in fear.

Caretaker, before answering the door, mentally prepared themself for whoever could be there while peering through the peephole. It was Whumpee's Team Leader. Looking back at Whumpee in confusion, they opened the door so they could all see each other.

Team Leader shifted uncomfortably in their spot. "Uh. Hi. Caretaker. Whumpee. It's been awhile. I would understand if you didn't want to see me but there are some things I'd like to speak about today if possible."

Whumpee nodded and waved Team Leader in.

"I'll make tea." Caretaker shuffled off to the kitchen quickly, clattering around as they grabbed mugs and the kettle.

"Whumpee, I know I haven't seen you since your last mission, I've been kept so busy with retraining the team and paperwork that I just couldn't make it to the hospital."

"Um, I was in the hospital and then rehab for a total of 8 weeks."

"Yyyeeeaaahhh," Team Leader dragged out their answer, "I really wasn't able to have any extra time and your screw up lost the Team any off-base privileges for a month."

"Sorry - my screw up?"

Realizing what had just come out of their mouth, Team Leader shut their eyes and mentally cursed themself for letting it slip.

Sighing, they doubled down. "Yeah. Your screw up. If you didn't get cold feet when I told you to run, you wouldn't have been caught, you wouldn't have been beaten in interrogation, we wouldn't have had to waste time and resources on trying to find yo-"

"I escaped on my own. You wasted your time and resources for nothing." Whumpee interrupted, losing patience with this impromptu meeting.

"Which we didn't know. You failed to notify the Team or even the Organization that you'd escaped and didn't need further assistance."

Fuming, Whumpee spit through clenched teeth, "I needed help. I asked for extra training. Do you remember what you told me? Actually, let me remind you because I'll never forget it. You said 'If you need extra training, then you shouldn't be on this team' -"

"I was giving you tough love. You could've succeeded, y'know. If you would've just listened to me, you were on the track to promotion for First Officer."

"Well that doesn't matter anymore does it? I can only assume you came to take back my badge and key swipe, yes?"

"Yes."

Whumpee groaned while standing, and crutched their way to the bedroom. Returning with the items needed, they dropped them on the table within reach of Team Leader.

Not ready to let go of antagonizing their former teammate, Team Leader pressed on. "So are you enjoying your cushy new lifestyle?"

"Yeah, actually, it's much better than the one I had before." Whumpee stared at Team Leader with a neutral expression, tired of the conversation and Team Leader's lack of niceties, if lack meant never having any at all.

Flustered by Whumpee's calm demeanor to what should have crushed them, Team Leader reached into their memories back to a counseling session in which Whumpee had divulged their biggest fear.

"You're a failure."

"Yeah. But I'm ok with that."

Team Leader's mouth opened and closed. That was Whumpee's biggest hurdle. Their greatest motivator. Team Leader knew they could hold it over their head and get the results they wanted. This is not how their exit interview was supposed to turn out. They would not be made a fool by their subordinate.

Opening their mouth to speak, they were cut off by Whumpee.

"I know you thought I would be hurt by you saying that. I did too, but I'm not hurt. I'm relieved. I'm relieved that I don't have to worry anymore about whether I'll live or die at any given moment, that you have no power over me anymore, that Caretaker has my back. Like, actually has my back."

"Well congratulations. I'll be going."

Team Leader picked up the badge and key swipe and shut the door behind them.

Entering the room, Caretaker brought  basket of tea bags. "I have LOTS of flavors to choose from, wh-hey where's Team Leader?"

"They couldn't stay. They just came by to collect my badge and stuff."

"Oh. Oh Whumpee, I'm so sorry. I know being on that Team meant a lot to you."

"It was nothing but status and danger. I'm much happier here with you. And I'll have Darjeeling, thanks."