Tinder

Cw: mcd, death by fire, weaponization of mental health, threats of violence

Caretaker had been doing what their name suggested for years and was placed by the Caretaking Organization on a large property that they kept their whumpees safe on. They loved each and every whumpee they cared for and even kept in touch with graduated whumpees.

They were a shepherd of safety, security, and self progress for these compromised individuals. There was only one problem: Caretaker was lonely. They went online to make a dating profile after being egged on by their whumpees who only wanted their dearest Caretaker to be happy.

The reception wasn't great at first. Whenever Caretaker mentioned what they did for a living, they were turned away and told they must be broken or weird to want to house broken people.

Caretaker was ready to accept the fate of lifelong loneliness when Lover messaged them one night, late, and Caretaker told them up front "listen you seem charming but I want you to know this is what I do for a living. I'm not ashamed of it and will not stop."

Expecting to be scorned once more, they went to do dishes. Coming back to their phone, they opened a message praising them for their gumption and the love they must hold in their heart to want to do such a difficult job. This surprised Caretaker so they cautiously asked Lover on a date.

They actually had a great time. Lover seemed interested in what Caretaker did for a living. No one ever was. This was new and exciting!

A few dates later and Caretaker agreed to date Lover. Months flew by in bliss. Caretaker wasn't neglecting their whumpees but the Whumpees definitely noticed a sense of head-in-the-clouds from Caretaker as they seemed to be far away in their own dreamland. One who was brave enough to ask received a loving hug and was told "I'll tell you all at dinner tomorrow night. It'll be special."

The next night, the whumpees gathered around the large oblong table, whispering to one another about what this special event would be; great smells were coming from the kitchen.

Caretaker came through the swinging kitchen door and greeted everyone. "Hello my dears, tonight we celebrate something very special. I want to share a new person in my life. This-" Lover emerged with a huge pan of food, "is my new partner, Lover."

"Lover helped make this incredible dinner for you all, and supports my endeavors to take care of all of you. I hope you love them like I love them."

Cautiously, carefully, the whumpees tried this new food and slowly began to ask personal questions. Lover answered every question and held all of their attentions like an inspirational coach. At the end of the night, Caretaker and Lover sent all the whumpees to bed and dispensed medicine before doing the dishes.

Over the span of two months, Lover was a regular at the house and a fan favorite amongst the inhabitants, old and new. Caretaker asked Lover to move in and take a job with the Organization and Lover happily accepted.

All was well until after the night they moved in. The facade seemed to fall slightly when one whumpee didn't like the dinner Lover made. "You will eat your dinner and you will thank me." Lover responded sternly when told it could use more garlic in one's opinion. The room became startlingly quiet as all eyes shot down and spines straightened. Caretaker said "Lover, that was really intense. Are you ok?"

Lover fixed their smile and publicly apologized to the whumpee blaming a long difficult day of training for work and that they were learning and listening and would do better.

The table dispersed with a varying sense of distrust. Dependent on the level of trauma and awareness, some whumpees accepted the apology and some were suspicious.