Crying

Whumpee was unable to stop crying. They were gasping for breath, for life, as the tears rolled down their face in a race to their chin.

"Breathe, breathe with me, Whumpee, just breathe."

The nurses were used to the crying and didn't bother trying to stop it anymore, just sedate and move on. The new Psychologist was determined to find a way.

"Bu- dih- a-a-I ca-a-an't" the desperately miserable person wailed harder.

"Ok, then let it out."

*sniff* "What?"

"Let it out. All of it. Scream if you need to. You're allowed, and I won't let them sedate you."

The very thought of this actually stopped the tears. No one had ever, LET Whumpee cry before. They were penalized for crying by physical and chemical means. No one ever allowed Whumpee to cry it out. The thought of processing it all by actually letting it out... gave Whumpee, peace? The peace they never had before? Why were they feeling better?

They dried their eyes and looked up at the Psychologist and took a breath in and out. Psychologist smiled at them. "Does that feel better? I won't let anyone keep you from crying, ok?"

"ok." whispered the restrained person from their bed. Psychologist slowly undid the restraints.

"I don't think we'll need these right now, thank you." Psychologist cut off the nurse who tried to stop them when they saw what was being undone.

"We've made a breakthrough."