chapter 17: harvest festival

"You promised me Sebastian, Jacob. You were paid a good amount of money for that to happen. When I first told you my suspicion on that negro you told me he was just having fun. Nothing to worry about? What the hell!"

Katrina and betty glared at Jacob in his study.
"Be patient, Sebastian will be yours. The wedding is still on right?"

"Get rid of that stupid slave. She is getting in the way and I want her gone. Ever since sebastian came here he has been following her like a lost puppy. Get rid of that girl or I will."

"You really think killing zazi will make Sebastian marry you? You forget its your 'love for slaves' that made you bond. Your compassion on how they are treated and blah blah. That's the only thing you share in common. Well, that he thinks you have in common. If zazi dies right now it won't be long till he figures out who killed her. You have to play smart."

She still had to limp but since Sebastian wasn't around she walked normal out to her room. But someone in the shadows saw this

"My husband paid a lot of money for this union

"My husband paid a lot of money for this union. You better come through" betty finally said ending this argument. Katrina decides that she should make Sebastian miss her and look for her. So she had her mother moved to the guest quarters. She wanted Sebastian to look for her at least once. To think he is losing her and come find her when he noticed her absence.

Sebastian however had been convinced by his sister and girlfriend to go swimming and actually swim with everyone. Anna asked Sebastian to bring ondi from work so he won't be punished for missing.

As the five walked, Sebastian kept stealing glances at zazi and zazi kept blushing. This happened so obviously that Binti noticed.
"Zazi, what is going on here?... Are you two....?"
Seeing the expression on her face she already knew the answer. But since the man was right there she couldn't scream and jump up and down. She had actually know zazi adored Sebastian from childhood. But then she remembered katrina.
"Zazi, I see some flowers help me pick them."
The rest kept walking as zazi and Binti looked at the bushes.
"What flowers?"
When it was safe to talk, Binti turned to zazi seriously.
"Katrina?"
"What... What about her?"
"She is engaged to Sebastian. And you two are together? How is this possible?"
"He told me to trust him. He'll break off the engagement."
"Zazi... Are you sure my love? That woman almost got you whipped last time, she has her eye on you. I don't want you to get hurt in any way. Either by katrina, or by Sebastian. What if he is just using you, are you even getting anything out of this?" She too was being used but it has helped bring more food on the table for her and her family. They haven't had to ration the food again just to have enough or slept hungry just so they could eat tomorrow.
"He is not using me Binti. I know for a fact."
"Zazi... What if at the end he still marries her and leaves with her?... You'll be left here...."
"Do you trust me?"
"Yes. "
"Then trust him. Not all white people are bad. Some can be good, and can love."
"Zazi... Are you in love with Sebastian?"
She just nodded and smiled. Binti then hugged her. She didn't want to discourage her even further. She herself is doing the same. Being with someone who is with another. But hers was worse since the man was already married with children her age, she was his dirty little secret she couldn't tell anyone.