chapter 69: i did you a favor

Katrina had seen the tension in the room and made her escape from it all.
She was going to meet the men, get mad at them for letting the brats escape and then ask if zazi was taken care of.

The family was just in shock.
Alexander was the first to ask.

"Martha? What did you do?"

"What we all have been wanting to do but didn't have the courage to..... Get rid of zazi." She was confident about her answer.

"By burning her alive?" Ester said feeling horrified her daughter could even think of something like that.

"Like all didn't want that slave gone? I did you a favor. All of you!"

"And what about the children? They are innocent."

"They are not our children so no loses."

"Martha we don't know that yet!"

"I do. They are not my nieces and that's a fact."

"And what if they are?"

"They could not be. I would know if they were!"

"In this devious plan did you ever stop consider Arnold?" Harold asked, he saw his brother's eyes when he saw the children looking like that. And how he looked scared hearing about zazi.

"Hmph!"

"You are taking his family, his entire family away from him!"

"When the results come, he will thank me! You will see! It will state he is not the father, make him see zazi as the witch she is and he will be glad i got rid of her for him!"

"What if the results come the other way? And arnold is the father? Don't forget Suzy hasn't had any children of her own either for  us to completely say our brother was the blame. Even if that is because she did not marry again. What if the results come out as he is the father to the non identical twins? Do you think he will ever forgive you? Do you think he will ever forgive you for trying to burn his wife alive? Do you think he will ever forgive you trying to burn his daughters alive?"

This words got to martha a little bit. She got worried a little. But she was sure the children were not Arnold's so why worry about that?

She wasn't at fault for killing a witch. Witches like zazi deserve to be stoned, hanged or burnt to death

But the whole family was looking at her concerned.

Sure most of them didn't like zazi because of her skin color.

But they hadn't ruled out completely the possibility that god may have blessed their son with one chance to be a father. That was why they wanted to be sure first before casting a stone on zazi.

Just then, Sebastian and arnold walked in the room alone.

"Where is she?...... You didn't find her, did you?" Harold asked already knowing the answer from the clear expressions on their faces.

"No. We didn't find her. And we looked everywhere. I think we should go back with more men!"

Arnold then turned to Martha.

"You better play to the holy mary that she is alive or i will deal with you myself "

"I was just trying to protect you!" She shook a little seeing the anger written all over his face.

"Protect me? By trying to kill my wife and children?"

"You'll thank me soon. She is an evil vile woman  who has been manipulating you. You had to be saved from her. And from her bastard children."

"No no no.... Arnold don't!"
Harold had to hold his brother back to prevent him from hitting his sister. Anger was written all over his face. Fear was in his eyes for his wife's life. And he wanted this woman to pay for her crime.

"Brother!" Isabella cried out suddenly. "I was there when Martha and Katrina were coming up with the plan. They said some men would keep watch and if zazi or the children tried to escape? They would get shot and thrown down a nearby river."

That was the river under the cliff. Zazi's trail stopped at the cliff. Was she? No! No! She couldn't have. No she shouldn't.

This time arnold almost got to martha when Alexander too had to hold him.

"Calm down brother! Calm down! I'm sure she's fine!"

Never had anyone seeing Arnold this angry.

He looked like if he wasn't stopped, he would have murdered his own sister.

The man pointed a gun at zazi as he led her to his barn.

He then stopped at some pig sty.

"I wont shoot you. Even though you are the color of a slave, you look a little now noble. But you are now my slave. A heaven sent free slave. You will take care of my pigs, feed them and water them everyday, that is your task, you understand slave?"

"Sir wait listen to me. If you let me go, i have money back in town i will give you a thou.." He took a whip from the wall and hit her right in the arm where her bullet wound was.
She screamed in pain.

"Did i say you could talk slave? I am your owner and you do as i say, or you get severely punished. Water the pigs or get whipped.  The well is right there ...... Hurry up before i whip you again!"

Zazi walked quickly ignoring the pain in her stomach and arm. She had to fetch water from the well and give it to the pigs.

Will Sebastian ever find her here?

Did he manage to escape with the children?

Are the children safe?

Her heart bled for her babies. She should have never come here.

She should have just let the family, if they wanted to see the girls so bad, come to africa. Now she was in the middle of nowhere with a stranger of a  man forcing her to be his slave just because she was black. He didn't even want to hear her out.

Oh god, what was she going to do. She remembered the God that Arnold was teaching her about. Maybe he could help her.

"Jesus, please, save me. Save me and i will teach my daughters to be Christians. I will forever worship you and be in your debt!"