chapter 38: staying here with me

Zazi did fall down the cliff.

Where she fell so dangerously close to the hole. So close that when she reached down she was inches around from it. That was one of the reasons, despite being hurt and bruised and cut, she got up and started quickly walking on. She just chose between right and left and started moving.

She walked on and on fast and didn't stop, by the time ondi and his crew reach the bottom, she was long gone.

It is said she walked all night, and that is true. Because by the time she found a path leading to a gate, the sun was about to rise.

She looked at the gate that opened to a ranch with hope, maybe they could help with place to rest and some water.

So she limped her way there, yes she had twisted her ankle falling off the cliff. And running, more like quick walking or even just walking all night, put so much pressure on the leg that it was swollen.

She was tired and weak.
All she could think about was a safe place for her daughter.
But before she could even get close enough to knock on the gate, she collapsed with her baby on her stomach.

Zazi slowly opened her eyes and the first thing she felt was a soft mattress under her. As she tried to sit up, she felt her stomach where her baby was supposed to be held to and the moment she felt nothing, her eyes shot up and she jumped sitting straight on the bed ready to get up and find her.
Only for her eyes to meet a man, holding her daughter while giving her milk?
"Ooww, your awake. Finally."

The man was tall, had long dark hair, blue eyes and trimmed beard. His locks touched his shoulders. He was dressed in a white shirt and black trouser.

He was handsome, that was something very notable.

Zazi's eyes travel to her baby who seemed to be comfortable in his arms.

"Don't worry," the deep but soft manly voice rang in her ear.

"She is okay. She has had her bath, and now she is feeding and about to have her nap."

Zazi tried to get up on her feet. That was when she saw her leg bandaged.

"You have a swollen ankle, it would be better if you don't move too much. And also some wounds on your head, back. Its all been cleaned and nursed."
That was when zazi realized she was wearing different clothes, very elegant clothes and was clean.

"Don't worry, the female maids were the ones who took care of you."

"Can i please have my daughter!" She said panicking a little.

"Of course," he walked to her and gave her the baby.

"I'm Arnold by the way. Arnold crane."
Zazi just stared at him home confused.

"This the part where you say you're name."

"I'm Zazi. And this is Lily."

In those times, for the africans, your last name was your father's first name so zazi was zazi ngesa. And Lily would be Lily Sebastian.

"Nice to meet Zazi, please welcome to my home."

"Thank you for helping us." She said looking at his eyes as if to see something. All she could see was friendliness

"Well, you collapsed at my gate, I couldn't just abandon you.  Even if you were a stranger, you seemed hurt and fleeing from something. And also, you had a baby in your arms. I'm so glad you're awake. I was just about to take you to the hospital because you practically slept the whole day!"

Really? She looked outside and the sun was setting. Maybe it was because she hadn't slept in two days.

"Please come eat dinner with me. So you can tell me more about you."