chapter 31: nights in the pit

Zazi looked up as darkness fell, she was going to sleep in that hole, by herself. It was so cold. Her back was aching. She was so scared. Any sudden movement, from an insect even, got her shook

But that was not what was hurting her the most. Sebastian was.

Was what they said true? Betty said
'Sebastian has left. He's left you and gone with his fiancee. You actually thought he loved you? You thought he chose you? A dirty slave? A black little girl like you? You're so naive......'

Was she naive to think he loved her? To believe him when he said he loved her? To give her innocence to him? He is marrying katrina?

He told her he had left her and they can be together openly. He said it was arranged and he never loved Katrina and only loved her.

Was that a lie?

What Gil said, about him having sex with her then leaving cause he was done.

But that day he stood up for her and said he would buy her if that's what he took. Was that a lie too?

He had said he was going to fulfil his childhood promise to her. To free her from being a slave, to marry her.
Was that childhood promise a lie as well? Was everything that they shared an illusion?

The swim at the waterfall, the first kiss. Their hugs. His words.
Was the warnings all true? White men only use black women, after they are done they marry their own? Ondi said so. She didn't believe him. Now look at her now.

She cried even more. She cried even harder. This was what his father had done to many slaves for along time. The ranchers did to the village girls. So a snake births a snake?

No. Sebastian was different. He treated her right. He would not just leave her.
Not again.

He wouldn't hurt her like this. He wouldn't hurt her ever. He would come back for her. He would come back and explain everything. He would have an explanation for what was going on.

Mumbi cried and begged the gods for her daughter's safety. She was all she had left. Her gut told her. Her motherly instincts told her to save her daughter from this. And she did nothing. She knew this never ended in marriage. Him giving sick days must have been an act to get zazi to like him.

It hurts that he betrayed zazi like that. Unlike other girls who just have casual sex with the whites, zazi actually loved sebastian.

She trusted him with her heart. Not a doubt. She was head over heels. This love was her life, it meant everything to her. It meant the world. She felt sorry that he just left. But decided to keep an open mind. Maybe there was an explanation. But she doubted it.

The last time her husband was there, and he died after. Now her daughter......

She prayed for her daughter. 'Spare my little one.'

Just then, a knock was her door. It was ondi.
"Is it true? Is zazi...."
"Yes. She was thrown in the pit!"
She tried to cover her tears.
"Its going to be okay." That bastard Sebastian. He left zazi that morning and caused her all this. She was thrown there because of him, ondi knew that for sure, and he just left. Good. Even if he comes back he won't let him near her again. He didn't care about race anymore

Anna saw being thrown to the pit. She confronted her dad but he ignored her. Never offered an explanation. She asked the ranchers to let her out but they refused. Jacob put her there and Jacob would get her out. He asked jacob to but he ignored her again. Fine, she would get her herself.
She took a long rope and went to the pit. She took a lamp with her since it was dark outside
"Zazi, zazi can you hear me!"
"Anna!" She heard a weak voice inside.
"Zazi. Hold on okay, I'm getting you out."
She then tied the lamp on the rope and lowered it to zazi.
Zazi took it and untied it. She used it to look around. There was so many little spiders  and ants crawling around who ran away from the light.