Chapter Thirty Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Dead.

The man was dead.

I shook my head. He couldn't be, the man couldn't be dead. He was just unconscious, he hit his head and passed out. That's it, that's all that was. He wasn't dead.

So why wasn't he breathing?

My breaths however were coming out in heavy pants as I stared at the man in horror. My mind was racing as I tried to gather my thoughts on what to do next.

I didn't want to touch him, I really didn't but what choice did I have? Taking a deep breath I slid my right foot over to him and nudge him slightly. There was no response so I did it again but this time harder and again no response.

"Oh shit."

This little experiment of mine gave me no conclusive answer and I knew what I had to do now. I had to check his pulse. Crouching down hesitantly, I took in a deep breath and stretched my arm out. Just as I was about to make contact, I withdrew my hand back.

I couldn't do it. I couldn't touch him. What if he was dead?

"Shit, shit, shit."

While keeping on eye on the man, my trembling hands scrolled down my contact list and clicked on Vladamir's name.

"Leanne." Vladamir's smooth voice came through the phone.

"V-Vladamir?" I gasped out, unable to say anything else.

"Yes?" He asked and I could hear the sound of typing in the background. "What is it?"

I opened my mouth to tell him what happened but nothing came out except a little squeak.

Vladamir made a frustrated noise. "I am busy man Leanne."

After a few seconds of silence I finally managed to speak. "Help me." The words were barely audible but I knew he heard it.

"Stay on the line." Vladamir's voice changed and I could hear movement in the background.

"I'm in-"

"I know where you are, do not move and stay on the line."

I wanted to ask him how he knew where I was but it wasn't the right time. I did as he said and didn't move an inch, I don't think I could have if I wanted to. I don't know how long it took Vladamir to reach me but it felt as though it took a lifetime.

His car stopped harshly in front of the alleyway blocking it from people's view and he stepped out of the car as soon as it came to a stop.

"Leanne." He was in front of me in an instant.

"Something happened." I whispered as I met his eyes. "I did something."

My whole body was shaking violently as he reached over to me. His hands gently grasped the phone that I didn't realise I was still holding to my ear before he slowly wrapped his arm around me.

"I think I killed somebody." I chocked out into his shoulder causing him to tense up slightly.

Vladamir untangled himself from me and looked at the man who was on the ground. Letting out a loud sigh as if this was very inconvenient to him, he crouched down and loomed over the man. I averted my gaze and kept an eye out, I didn't want anyone to see this and I also didn't want to look at the man any longer than I had to.

A strong hand gripped my upper arm roughly causing me to let out a gasp. "Let's go."

"I-is he dead?" I tried to make eye contact with him but he was looking straight ahead.