Chapter Fifty Nine

Chapter Fifty-Nine

The sound of the machines beeping and my sobs filled the room. Both noises seemed obnoxiously loud as if they were on loudspeaker.

There had been no response from mum after I uttered those soul crushing words and I was too sacred to look at her.

My tear-filled eyes instead were on her hand that I was holding, the hand that was limply holding mine back.

"Mum?" I whispered. "Did you hear what I said?"

I had said those words out loud right? I was beginning to doubt myself because of her lack of reaction to it.

Should I repeat myself?

"Mum." I started again. "Dad is dea-"

"No he's not." She snapped as she snatched her hand away from under mine. "Why would you say such a thing?"

She was in denial which made this even more difficult, now I would have to convince her he was actually gone.

"Because it's true." I whispered as I reached for her hand. "I wish it wasn't but it is."

Her eyes searched mine and I watched hopelessly as the life drained out of hers as she realised that I wasn't joking and he was actually gone.

"Leah?" She whispered as tears began to form in her eyes. "Your dad is dead?"

I nodded unable to say it again. Her hand tightened around mine and she closed her eyes. She began shaking her head as if she couldn't believe it or she was trying to get the thought out of her head.

There was nothing I could say or do to alleviate the pain so we sat in silence as I held her hands. It didn't take her long to process the horrible truth unlike me and within minutes she was crying her eyes out.

Each sob was a knife to the heart and watching your mum break down and cry like that was a different kind of pain, a pain I never wanted to experience ever again.

She didn't ask any questions, she didn't ask how exactly he died or what the last moments of his life was like I thought she would. It seemed too unbearable for her to ask right now and I was a little glad that she didn't, I didn't know what answers I could provide her with and I didn't want to explain to her that dad's body was missing.

There were so many things that I would have to explain to her now, so many ways her life was about to change. It was going to be tough and I prayed that she didn't hate me when she found out everything.

I was unsure of how long we had been like this, it felt like it had been several hours and we probably would have stayed like this for a few more hours but a knock on the door had us both wiping our faces.

Dr Woods entered the room with a small smile. "How are you feeling Alice?"

"I'm fine." Mum said as she attempted to straighten herself up.

She looked over at me and gave my hand a quick squeeze. "Can you leave the room Leah? I need to talk to Dr Woods privately."

"Sure."

I did as she said despite my curiosity. Would it be bad if I invaded her privacy and asked Dr Woods about it later?

"Leanne." I looked up to see Vladamir standing outside the room. "I will take you home so you can freshen up."

I shook my head. "I'm not leaving my mum."

"It will only be for a couple of hours. Your mother will be protected, nothing is going to happen to her."

Shaking my head again, I repeated my answer. "I'm not leaving my mum."

"Leanne, you reek." Vladamir said bluntly causing me to glare at him.