4 : Save Me

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔄𝔭𝔯𝔦𝔩 2005

Being only twenty, there were a lot of things that EJ didn't understand. His upbringing, for example, and why he had to get the raw end of the deal. He didn't understand why things were the way they were, and why he couldn't change them as much as he tried. He didn't get the Doctor, where he came from, or what he was about.

     But, being trapped in a political office with him, did mean that he learnt a lot in a small space of time. Such as, the Doctor was clever. He somehow managed to hook Rose's phone up to the microphone speakers so they could all hear exactly what was going on in Mickey Smith's flat.

"Say again." The Doctor prodded the phone a moment, hoping to hear what was being said.

"It's asking for the password." The voice called through the telephone, and into the telecom, as clear as if they were stood right beside each other. It was freaky.

"Buffalo." Replied the man, absentmindedly. "Two f's, one l."

When Rose's mother, Jackie, took the phone, EJ zoned out slightly. He knew that she was going to say something that didn't apply to him, and he was correct. She was worried about her daughter more than anything, which in turn, only made him worry more about his own family. He didn't even know if they were safe or not.

There were just so many of them to keep a track of, and they all mattered to him more than anything. If only his phone had the same powers as Rose's, then he would be able to find out. He wouldn't have to live in such suspense to know that none of them had been in trouble. But Mickey was clogging up the line, meaning he had to wait.

If he was alive by the end of the night, EJ would call them as soon as he could. They were always on his mind, no matter what he was doing, or where he was. Although, the pressing alien matter might have been a little more important for the existence of the human race.

     "All of the secrets known to mankind." The words caught EJ's attention for one reason or another, bringing him back into the conversation. Mickey was complaining again. "See, they've known about aliens for years. They just kept us in the dark."

  "Mickey, you were born in the dark." The Doctor shrugged him off. He didn't need any of the added pressure.

  Rose sighed. "Oh, leave him alone."

  "Thank you." Replied the boy, exasperated.

  "Gold." EJ's eyes widened as he blew air into his cheeks. "Pure gold."

  Mickey came back on the line, or more likely, he never left. This time, it was more relevant. "Password again."

  "Just repeat it." He was told, almost like a naughty child. "Every time." Just as the phone was passed over to Jackie again, the Doctor continued thinking out loud. "Big Ben." He must have been anxious as he kept counting around the room: it must have helped him think. "Why did the Slitheen go and hit Big Ben?"

  "You said to gather the experts, to kill them." Harriet offered, closing up the Emergench Protocols briefcase.

  "That lot would've gathered for a weather balloon." He dismissed. "You don't need to crash land in the middle of London."

  "The Slitheen are hiding, but then they put the entire world on red alert." Rose thought out loud, her conclusion forming into a better idea than the rest of them. "What would they do that for?"

  "Oi! Listen to her!" Jackie scolded through the phone.

  "Oi." Her daughter countered, just as fiercely. "Least I'm trying."