32 : In Her Honour

𝔖𝔠𝔬𝔱𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔘𝔫𝔦𝔱𝔢𝔡 𝔎𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔡𝔬𝔪
𝔖𝔢𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔪𝔟𝔢𝔯 1879

The main body of the house was winding like a helter skelter. When they ran, Rose, EJ, the Doctor and Sir Robert all ran as fast as they could. They had left Queen Victoria completely unattended, which in hindsight, was not the greatest idea, but they'd been concerned with the welfare of their friend.

EJ was learning it was far better to be there than be important. Even so, Rose always ended up with more attention than him. Something he had been used to his entire life. No one had ever cued up to be his friend, to choose him over someone else. In fact, it seemed to be the opposite. He couldn't complain. This was the life he had chosen for himself.

Sir Robert in particular was rushing, feeling he had the most responsibility of the Queen's state since he was the one who had betrayed her. He could understand why, but EJ might have just offered himself to the wolf if he was in the nobleman's position. At least then he wouldn't have to last through an awkward apology.

"Your Majesty? Your Majesty!" He called as they ran, finally finding her running down a set of stairs at her slowed pace.

"Sir Robert? What's happening?" Queen Victoria's voice was shaking as he reached them. "I heard such terrible noises."

"Your Majesty, we've got to get out. But what of Father Angelo, is he still here?"

She seemed shocked by the words which left her own lips, and EJ could tell she wasn't completely convinced. "Captain Reynolds disposed of him."

"The front doors no good, it's blocked." The Doctor told her, swiftly, having already checked as they spoke. "You'll have to leg it out a window."

They walked into the other room, and Sir Robert pushed his way to the front. "Excuse my manners, ma'am, but I shall go first, the better to assist Her Majesty's digress."

"A noble sentiment, my Sir Walter Raleigh."

The Doctor continued to quicken them. "Any chance you can hurry up?"

Sir Robert did as was asked of him, clambering onto the windowsill. However, the moment he opened the window, it was forced shut again as they all ducked to safety. Bullets were flying their way, and blocking their exit. The Doctor shifted over, staying as low as he could, only to find the Brethren outside. This was all their doing, and the death of Queen Victoria would be at their hands.

     "I reckon the monkey boys want us to stay inside." The Doctor hummed, but EJ couldn't help but scoff.

  "Really?"

  "Do they know who I am?" The Queen declared, rather furiously.

  "Yeah! That's why they want you." Rose started speaking before her mind caught up, and realised it probably wasn't her greatest idea. "The wolf's lined you up for... a biting."

"Now, stop this talk." She scolded. "There can't be an actual wolf."

In true fashion, there was a great howl as they heard more doors splinter in the woods wake. Whilst the Queen had yet to see it, and therefore had no reason to believe it, it was stupid. They were being ambushed by, what was to them, a mythical creature. It just meant they had to work ten times harder.