34 : Enabling Environment

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔄𝔭𝔯𝔦𝔩 2006

There was a pain to nostalgia which people often forgot. It was the reason so many decided to give birth after the trauma of the first. It was also the reason EJ did not mind the secondary school that they had been bundled into. The memories of being away from his father were more favourable than those with, even if both were grim enough.

     The bell was ringing as they stepped into the car park, looking as professional as ever. Only, things felt different this time. The children were laughing and running but there was no mischief, like they had lost all autonomy. Something about it seemed wrong, he just couldn't place it yet. Truly, it was like they hadn't left at all.

     "EJ, Rose, Sarah, you go to the maths room, crack open those computers. I need to see the hardware inside. Here, you might need this." The plan was already taking form in his mind as he passed the sonic to Sarah Jane. "Mickey, surveillance. I want you outside."

  He didn't seem all that impressed. "Just stand outside?"

  "Here, take these." Sarah Jane handed him the keys to her car. "You can keep K9 company."

  The Doctor called back to him as they stepped forwards. "Don't forget to leave the window open a crack!"

  "What? He's metal."

  His confusion was joyful. "I didn't mean for him!"

  Rose raised an eyebrow as they walked through the front doors. "What are you going to do?"

  "It's time I had a word with Mr Finch." The Doctor told them, already heading towards the office, but EJ stopped him. His arms wrapped tightly around his friend. "What was that for?"

  Just before EJ raced after the girls, he grinned at the Doctor. "Listening."

     It was such a minuscule thing it shouldn't have mattered so, but it did. The Doctor acknowledged how EJ was feeling. He understood that he wanted to be useful, and trusted, and this was clean-cut proof of it.

     As they headed towards the maths room, it was a deadly silence. Sarah Jane and Rose could hardly talk to each other without it becoming so much of a fight. EJ didn't want to be apart of it, but it was a small price to pay for his momentary freedom. They chose a room, and they got it over with, beginning on their work.

     Sarah Jane was crouched down with the sonic, attempting to open some of the computer mechanisms. Though, she was having more trouble than she expected. Rose sat beside her, bored out of her mind, watching as EJ lay on the floor. The boy waved his arms around like he were making a snow angel.

     She sighed, exasperated. "It's not working."

  Rose just held out her hand, fed up. "Give it to me."

Sarah Jane stood, huffing, passing over the sonic rather reluctantly. "Used to work first time, in my day."

"Well, things were a lot simpler back then."

"Rose," The older woman began, though it wasn't expected. "Can I give you a bit of advice?"

She groaned, eyes rolling as she began to work on the computers. The sonic was whirring, EJ could hear it, but she wasn't having much luck. "I have a feeling you're about to."

"I know how intense a relationship with the Doctor can be. And I don't want you to feel I'm intruding..."

"I don't feel threatened by you, if that's what you mean?" Rose retorted.