52 : Divine Creation

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔄𝔲𝔤𝔲𝔰𝔱 2006

It was an understatement to say that the Doctor was unhappy. His lack of knowledge about the ghosts was eating away at him, and as soon as Jackie mentioned the tv, he was glued to it.

He had huddled himself opposite the box, remote in hand, leant up against the sofa. EJ could see how tense he was, and sat directly behind him, just so he could offer some support. His legs were either side of the Doctor's body and he ran his fingers through his spiked hair. It didn't do much, but he hoped that it would do enough.

"On today's Ghostwatch, claims that some of the ghosts are starting to talk, and there seems to be a regular formation gathering about Westminster Bridge. It's almost like a military display..."

The Doctor changed the channel and spoke through gritted teeth. "What the hell's going on?"

"And tonight we're expecting very strong ghosts, from London through the North and up into Scotland."

He changed it again, and Trisha came on. "So, basically, Eileen, what you're telling me is that you are in love with a ghost?"

"He's my ghost," The woman insisted. "And I love him 24/7."

The channel changed to some drama. "Well, no one needs me anymore." There were no ghosts, so it changed again.

There was even an advert for the ghosts, which seemed odd. "My ghost was pale and grey, until I discovered... Ectoshine!"

"Ectoshite, more like." EJ scoffed, leaning his head on top of the Doctor's. At least it made Rose laugh.

"Et le President a dit aujourd'hui que les fan..."

"Taj Mahal jaane waale logon ko hoshiyaar kiya..."

"Nihonjin wa okashiku natte shimatta youdesu..."

As some Japanese girls were shown on the screen screaming about their love for the ghosts, the Doctor rubbed his face. "It's all over the world."

He tried one last channel change, but he ended up with Eastenders on. "Listen to me, Den Watts, I don't care if you have come back from the grave, get out of my pub! The only spirits I'm serving in this place are gin, whisky and vodka. So, you heard me, get out!"

  With that, he rolled his eyes, turned off the tv, and leant back against EJ's legs. He was clearly frustrated, but he wanted to know the answers. "But when did it start?"

  "Well," Jackie began like she did with every story. "First of all, Peggy heard this noise down in the cellar, so she goes down..."

  "No, I mean, worldwide."

  "Oh, that was about two months ago." She shrugged nonchalantly from her space on the sofa. "Just happened. Woke up one morning and there they all were. Ghosts everywhere. We all ran around screaming and that. Whole planet was panicking: no sign of you, thank you, thank you very much! But then it sort of sank in. Took us time to realise that... we're lucky."

Rose put a hand on her arm. "What makes you think it's Grandad?"

"It just feels like him." She shrugged, not having a solid reason. "There's that smell, those old cigarettes. Can't you smell it?"

"I wish I could, Mum, but I can't."

"Well, you've got to make an effort." Jackie replied, shaking her head. "You've got to want it, Sweetheart."