7 : Keep Yourself Alive

𝔘𝔱𝔞𝔥, 𝔘𝔫𝔦𝔱𝔢𝔡 𝔖𝔱𝔞𝔱𝔢𝔰, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔍𝔲𝔩𝔶 2012

If any of the Thompson children had been asked about their father, there would never have been a kind word to say. In fact, his death was a relief to them all; especially to EJ.

Scott Thompson was a follower of science, a pioneer in genetic engineering, and most of all, a madman. His processes were twisted, and his methods were unorthodox to say the least. Each piece of research lead to a new experiment, and his test subjects had no choice but to comply.

His wife, Emily, as kind as she was, pretended that she didn't know. The basement was off limits, so she never asked, until the days where it all went horribly wrong. She cared for the subjects in every way that she could. It seemed like her responsibility for overlooking everything that had happened to them.

One had been killed long after the experiments came to an end. When she thought that her life was finally getting back to normal. It was her wedding day. She had just become the new Mrs Murphy, finally matching the name of her partner and son. It was his fault.

The second was blinded. A rogue experiment had gone wrong, and he was never able to see again. The boy was only fourteen when it happened: it felt like his whole world had come to an end. There was more to life than sight, but his opportunities became limited, and his life was ruined forever.

The third had a more physical experience. His limbs were deformed once it was all over, metal plates and rods twisted around his bones. He had screamed in agony, begging for it to come to an end. It never did. He was confined to long sleeved clothes for the rest of his life, knowing that if he ever revealed what had happened to him, he would become a social pariah.

The fourth and final subject suffered the worst of them all. There had been constant injections and procedures so that he could be just right. It happened so slowly that he didn't think he would ever escape and see the light of day again. The last had been the most painful. It ensured that he could never live a normal life. Not ever.

Scott Thompson was insane. He had the medical records to prove it, but that never stopped him. In fact, it was the very motivator he needed.

When he was frightened, EJ found that his mind often slipped away to reach the memory of his father. It was a habit he'd tried to break out of many times before, but he never succeeded. His was a life not so easily forgotten.

Small tattoos scattered over his skin, in hope that they may disguise the hideous scarring from years gone by. He was not proud of the reason why, but he did love them for their beauty. They gave his body a new story to tell, one with far less pain, and much more understanding.

     The metal clamps around his wrists and ankles cut deeply into the skin; the pain made his eyes well. It was clear that it was the same feeling that the Doctor was experiencing, but EJ couldn't bring himself to look to his right. He was far too frightened of becoming something hideous in another persons eyes.

     His body curled as far as it could, attempting still to cover his chest. His will to hide himself was curious, and Van Statten only became more intrigued by the minute. He reminded EJ of his father in away. He was willing to do anything for the things he wanted. 

     "See, that's interesting." Van Statten mused, his eyes focused upon the screen of the scanner. He did not care of EJ who was writhing in pain.