18 : The Miracle

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔍𝔞𝔫𝔲𝔞𝔯𝔶 1941

There is a fine line between skill and luck. Anyone can learn to paint, but very few gain enough attention to be remembered for it. There is also a fine line between hard work and a miracle. Only so much can be done to put a hold on something, but it can be impossible. Sometimes, faith just has to be put into practice. They had to let a miracle happen, and it was all that could be done.

EJ thought about it often. His father had died, which was luck, but whether it was a miracle or not was debatable. Scott Thompson was a horrific man, but death was not always the best option. He should have paid for his actions. He should have stood trial, but his heart gave out before anyone knew what happened in their home.

     In fact, it was his brother, Tate's, autobiography which revealed to the world everything he had done. It was a best seller. They were recognised on the street, sought for interviews, and condolences given by complete strangers. Everything was a completed mess, and EJ hated it.

     When the book was published, he couldn't leave his home without fear of talking about it. When it was brought up out of the blue, then he was susceptible to panic attacks and the such. He could hardly function when anyone mentioned it to him, so he pretended he was someone else. 

     Now, he assumed these miracles would happened one day, and he would see it with his own eyes. He would just have to wait. It couldn't be too long, otherwise EJ might lose all hope.

     As they stepped through the disused railway stations, attempting to stay as quiet as possible, EJ could feel the discomfort in his stomach. He loved breaking into places. It was one of his favourite pastimes. However, the darkness and the whole jeopardy related to their situation made him wholly uncomfortable.

"There it is." Jack directed their gaze towards the tarp. "Hey, they've got Algy on duty. Must be important."

The Doctor wasn't bothered by the personal connection, and pressed. "We've gotta get past."

"Are the words distract the guard heading in my general direction?" Rose sighed, practically glowing at the idea.

Jack shook his head forcing EJ to snort. "I don't think that's be such a good idea."

"Don't worry," She clearly wasn't getting the hint. "I can handle it."

"Well, I've gotten to know Algy quite well since I've been in town." He hummed. "Trust me, you're not his type."

The blonde boy sighed. "Is it me, then? Cos I don't mind, he's not all that good looking, but I can make it work-"

"No." Jack grinned, amused. "I'll distract him. Don't wait up."

He jogged away towards his army-friend, leaving Rose completely gobsmacked. If she hadn't known better, she would have called him straight, even with EJ having kissed him. She never saw that coming at all, and even the Doctor was finding her reaction a little funny.

"Relax!" He teased. "He's a 51st Century guy! He's just a bit more flexible when it comes to dancing."

She raised an eyebrow, almost concerned. "How flexible?"

"By his time, you lot are spread out across half the galaxy."

"Meaning?"

The Doctor shrugged, nonchalantly. "So many species, so little time."

"What?" Rose scoffed, shaking her head in disbelief. "That's what we do when we get out there? That's our mission? We seek new life and... and..."

"Dance!"