13 : Dead On Time

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔑𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔪𝔟𝔢𝔯 1986

Everything has its time, and everything must come to an end. There was only so long that the inevitable could be avoided for, and EJ knew that his tenancy in denial was running close to finish.

They had found Rose in no time at all as the Doctor raced ahead to see her just standing in the street like nothing was wrong. She didn't exactly blend into the wedding party by the church, but she didn't seem to mind. It didn't seem fair that they were doing all of the hard work and she had caused it.

She didn't understand yet, but she would. Just because it hadn't effected her yet, didn't mean that she would be left untouched. There had to be a consequence to her actions.

EJ's legs had never moved so fast in all of his life. As much as he was mad, he didn't want to see Rose hurt. They were friends. He loved his friends, and that meant he loved her too. When she was in sight, unharmed, he was able to breathe a sigh of relief.

"Rose!" The Doctor cried panicked as he ran.

She turned to face them with a smug grin on her face. It was the sort that EJ would have slapped straight off a bully. Her arms were folded as she waited, expectantly, for some sort of apology.

"Get in the church!"

They could see the immediate change on her face, a frown creeping up on her. EJ called. "Go!"

Just as they began to close in, and Rose almost started to move in the direction of the church, something formed in the air. It floated, almost like it was flying. EJ could only describe it as pterodactyl-like as it materialised from nothing. Then its centre opened up like a huge mouth with circular teeth in rounds, like a leech. It screeched at her, and Rose screamed in response.

     The creature saw her, and it dived with all of its might. Rose was lucky that the Doctor was a faster sprinter than EJ was, because he pushed her out of the way. They landed on the concrete pavement with a thud. The Thompson boy gasped for air as he caught, almost cartoon like as his face grew a bright shade of red.

     "Get in the church!" The Doctor insisted, clambering up, pulling Rose with him.

There were maybe thirty or so people gathered in front of the church, some already inside, but that didn't mean they would all get through safely. More creatures materialised from thin air, squawking like reptilian birds as their mouths locked open.

"Oh my God! What are they?" One of the women screamed in terror. Her hot pink dress was hideous. "What are they?"

"Inside!" The Doctor commanded once again, finding it hard to grasp their attention as he pushed forwards.

A man from the side closest to the church called out as he attempted to run over. "Sarah!"

"Stay in there!"

One of the older men from the other side seemed to panic more than the others. At the sight of these monsters, he ran, hoping that he wouldn't be noticed. He was only one person, after all. As soon as he moved, they saw him, so he ran faster. Though, luck wasn't on his side as when he ran, he tripped. It was enough of a stall for the creature to engulf him in its wings and eat him alive.

The woman in a big white dress, who's wedding it must have been, attempted to make a break for the church, but she she too stopped and screamed for dear life when one of the creatures looked her dead in the eyes. It took one glance at her, and dove in the opposite direction. The vicar was a quick meal.