31 : Wilderness

𝔖𝔠𝔬𝔱𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔘𝔫𝔦𝔱𝔢𝔡 𝔎𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔡𝔬𝔪
𝔖𝔢𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔪𝔟𝔢𝔯 1879

"What d'you think of this? Will it do?"

Rose spun around in her pink shirt and dungaree skirt, attempting to pick something which would fit their next destination. EJ never understood why she was so bothered about her clothes; the Doctor wore the same sort of suit everywhere they went. Sometimes, he supposed, it was fun to dress up, but not for such a regional trip.

"For the 1970s?" The Doctor raised an eyebrow. "You'd be better off in a bin bag."

EJ giggled from the beam he sat in, and kicked his feet like a small child. "Why don't you tell her how you really feel?"

  "Hold on," He said, racing around the console to press one blue button. Music began to play, familiar music, which made EJ laugh. "Listen to this. Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Number one in 1979."

     Hit me with your rhythm stick.

     Hit me. Hit me.

  "You're a punk." Rose scoffed from opposite him, having completely forgotten about her clothes.

  It didn't matter what they said to the Doctor, really, because he was having the greatest time on his own, flying the Tardis, and singing. "It's good to be a lunatic."

  "That's what you are, a big old punk with a bit of rockabilly thrown in." 

  "I can't believe you know this song." The Thompson boy shook his head.

  "I'm the Doctor." He shrugged, nonchalantly. "I know every song."

  "Really?" His eyebrows raised, expectantly.

  "Want to go and see him?"

  As EJ jumped down from the beam to join them around the console, Rose's eyes widened. "You mean in concert?"

  "What else is a Tardis for?" The Doctor grinned, pulling the different mechanisms around. "I can take you to the Battle of Trafalgar, the Antigravity Olympics, Caesar crossing the Rubicon, or Ian Dury at the Top Rank, Sheffield, England, Earth, 21st November 1979, what d'you think?"

  "Sheffield it is!"

  Before pressing the final button, the Doctor looked to his other friend. "EJ?"

     He wasn't listening. He should have been, but he needed to check his phone. It was his one rule whilst travelling; when his phone rang, he had to check it, no matter what.

     "EJ?"

Soren, 18:33
remember that job I applied
for???
I got it!

EJ, 18:34
well done! I'm so proud of
you!!!

Soren, 18:35
thnk u
the school is weird tho
you'd hate it

"EJ?" The Doctor called again.

EJ, 18:36
gtg talk later
I'm so happy for u
xxx