51 : Tethered

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔄𝔲𝔤𝔲𝔰𝔱 2006

EJ was born on Earth, and it was the place he was raised. It was the place his son was born, and it was the place he had lived for twenty years. But that was all it was. The Earth held no special place in his heart, and he was all the gladder to leave it when the Doctor offered it to him.

It was just so well that the Doctor liked broken things, because EJ resembled that of a damaged toy, mangled by a child. He was waiting to be fixed. If anyone could do it, if anyone could find what was wrong with him, it would be the Doctor. Although, he didn't mind, because it was brilliant.

     Coming home, so to speak, was difficult. It held the life he might have lived; and his son. Josh was the main reason he came home. He had his friends, but no one mattered to him more.

     "Are you ready?" EJ asked as he turned to his son who was gripping his hand, tightly. They were stood outside the Tardis.

  Josh grinned widely, the biggest toothy smile that he had ever produced. "Yeah!"

  "Go on, then." He said, softly, gently guiding him forwards. "Open the doors."

     The Doctor had promised they could do something for Josh, and a trip in the Tardis seemed to be the perfect gift. Convincing Zoë hadn't been the easiest, but as soon as Simon agreed that I would be a once in a lifetime experience, she was onboard.

     EJ remembered the moment he stepped into the Tardis the first time himself, and he was sure it would be just as magical for Josh. There was something about the ship; and Josh loved the Doctor already. It wasn't as if there was much to do on that account.

A few days had passed since Josh's sixth birthday, and EJ was nervous. As the small boy pushed into the Tardis, his small hands barely able to hold the weight, he began to laugh. EJ had never known such a sound of enjoyment.

The Doctor was stood by the centre console with Rose sat on the spring seat beside him. They had been talking about something, but it became unimportant as soon as they saw Josh run around the control room. Something as mundane had never looked to fun.

"What do you think?" EJ wandered over to the console, and smiled. "Eh, Beanie?"

Josh paused, near the centre, and grinned. "It's big!"

"Hear that, Doctor? Bet you've never heard that one before." The Thompson boy grinned, bumping into the Doctor's side.

  "Oh, never." He shook his head, playing along just for Josh. "I didn't even notice! You're a genius!"

  The boy let out a coy giggle, extremely proud of himself. "Really?"

  "Really, really." The Doctor nodded, as he started up the engines for their journey to begin.

  "Where are we going?"

  EJ looked at the Doctor who shook his head in response, so he turned to his son, and he grinned taking a hold of his hands. "It's a surprise."

     From the moment they set off to the moment they landed, Josh kept trying to play with the Doctor, who was more than happy to comply. He pulled at the Doctors leg until he ran with him; EJ kept an eye on the console.

     However, EJ wasn't sure he'd ever smiled so much as he did in the Tardis, then. The fact that the Doctor was getting along with his son so well meant the world to him. It meant that it didn't matter how much he travelled in the Tardis, because the Doctor and Josh would be able to get along the entire time. They could take him with them a little, when he was older. It would be brilliant. EJ was sure it would be.