10 : Was It All Worth It

𝔖𝔞𝔱𝔢𝔩𝔩𝔦𝔱𝔢 𝔉𝔦𝔳𝔢
𝔜𝔢𝔞𝔯 200,000

After Suki left them on her journey to Floor 500, EJ could feel that something wasn't sitting right with him. At first, he didn't know if it was because of Cathica's head, or if it was more to do with the alien food he'd eaten. Either way, as soon as he found a bin, the kronkburger completely left his system.

His eyes watered as the bile stung his throat, although there wasn't much that could be done. It had been quite a while since he'd been sick, and this only forced a few poor memories to resurface. They were pushed back, instantly. He didn't need them.

At first, EJ hadn't minded how disgusting he looked. Whilst he barely knew the Doctor and Rose, they wouldn't have said anything. However, when it came to Adam, EJ felt the need to butch himself up just a little more. He couldn't have someone look at him as weak. Especially someone who fainted at the sight of space.

When it was over, Rose hugged him, and wrapped an arm around his shoulders. A quick hand ran through his hair. It was comfortable. He was thankful.

"Bad food?" She questioned, saving him some embarrassment.

He could tell that she didn't believe it at all, but still he played along. "Something like that, yeah."

"It wasn't that bad." Adam shrugged, nonchalantly, not taking the clue. "You must have a weak stomach or something."

"Adam." Rose scolded. "Don't."

"What? I didn't say anything." It was safe to say that he was as thick as two planks of wood, which made it all the more difficult. They continued walking after the Doctor, leaving him in the dust. "What?"

     The Doctor was interested in many of the different factors which had been brought up in the past five minutes. That was why they were heading back to the bright white broadcasting room. He wanted to know more, and he needed a secluded space that he could interrogate Cathica in. She wouldn't say anything anywhere that others could hear her.

It was curious that she seemed to cooperate in such a covert way. She was saying things she didn't seem to realise meant so much. EJ liked listening to her; it was interesting.

"Have you ever been up there?" The Doctor asked, referring to Floor 500.

"Can't." Cathica replied, nonchalantly. "You need a key for the lift, and you only get a key with promotion. No one gets to 500 except for the chosen few."

She unlocked the door to the room, and allowed the other four to file in before closing it. Her hands seemed sweaty as they wiped along the trousers of her pantsuit. It was one of the many signs of anxiety she was exhibiting that EJ could see.

"Look," Her voice wavered, slightly. "They only give us twenty minutes maintenance, can't you give it a rest?"

"But you've never been to another floor?" The Doctor asked as he flung himself onto the dentist chair that the Thompson boy was actively avoiding. "Not even one floor down?"

"I went to Floor 16 when I first arrived, that's Medical, that's where I got my head done..."

"It's barbaric." EJ hissed beneath his breath, earning a sharp look from Rose, who seemed confused.

"And then I... I came straight here. Satellite Five. You work, eat and sleep on the same floor. That's it. That's all." Then, she paused, and something changed in her eyes. "You're not management are you?"

The Doctor exclaimed. "At last, she's clever!"

"Yeah, whatever it is, don't involve me." She shunned the responsibility instantly. "I don't know anything."