70 : Detestation and Reform

[ happy one year of cosmo! to celebrate, please enjoy these two chapters, and comment your favourite moments from the past year of ej and the doctor. love you all so much, and thank you for all the support! <3 ]

𝔐𝔞𝔫𝔥𝔞𝔱𝔱𝔞𝔫, 𝔑𝔢𝔴 𝔜𝔬𝔯𝔨, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔑𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔪𝔟𝔢𝔯 1930

There was a major clean-up rallied by the inhabitants of Hooverville. The fires were expunged, but the homes were more damaged than anything else. Morning was dawning, but the night had left them with horror to deal with.

     Martha had reverted to the only thing she was truly confident with whilst travelling, which was caring for others. It was no walk in the park, so to speak, because everyone felt vulnerable. Accompanied by Tallulah, she was bandaging people up, cleaning wounds, and advising them on how to keep out infection. EJ was proud of her. His medical knowledge was sparse, so he wouldn't have been much help there.

     Instead, he did as the Doctor told him, and cared for Frank.

     For quite some time, all he did was cry. It was understandable. In the whole world, Solomon was the only person that Frank had to lean on, and now that he was gone, he had to rethink everything. EJ was there to listen, to talk, and to care, and he didn't mind a moment of it.

     With the freshly boiled water, EJ waited for it to cool for a few minutes before dipping a cloth into it, and squeezing away the excess. It wasn't the softest material, but it would have to do.

     "Do you want to take off your hat, lovely?" The Thompson boy asked, as kindly as he could.

  Frank nodded, a lump in his throat. "Sure..."

     EJ ran his fingers gently through Frank's hair, trying to bring him some sense of comfort. He knew it was difficult, and a long shot, but this was what his mother had done for him when he had trouble sleeping. It was one of his few fond memories of her, so he assumed it might do something from Frank.

     Then, when his breath seemed much less ragged, EJ pushed his hair away from his forehead, and took the cloth to his skin. Again, it was unnecessary, but Frank was covered in dirt and blood, and this cold relieve him of another burden... hopefully. After his face was clean, EJ moved onto his hands, and made sure they were clean too. Even after that, he made sure that he was dry so he didn't catch a cold.

     "You didn't have to do that for me." Frank mumbled beneath his breath. "I can take care of myself."

  "Oh, I don't doubt that." EJ replied with a grin. "If my son grows up to be half as resourceful as you, I know he'll be alright, no matter what."

  Something seemed to spark behind his eyes. "You have a son?"

  "Josh. He's six, seven in a few months."

  "What's he like?"

  EJ didn't mind talking about him, not in the slightest, even if the timing seemed to be a little off. "Cheeky, a right little madam sometimes and no mistake, but he is everything to me."

  "Sounds like my brother." Frank replied, an echo of a smile on his lips. "He, uh, loves the attention my mama gave him."

  "Do you miss him?" He asked, and then regretted it immediately. "Of course you do. You've been away from them for quite a while, right?"