33 : The Writer

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔄𝔭𝔯𝔦𝔩 2006

Every child has a strong idea of what they want to be when they grow up, whether that dream is realised or not is another thing entirely. Never once had EJ wanted to be around children for a living, and yet, that was where he found himself.

Mickey Smith, the great blundering idiot he was, recalled them to Earth for help. There was a school where a cacophony of interesting events had occurred. It was too odd to ignore, and the more they thought about it, the more they realised that they should just see what was going on. What was a few days to the man who could turn back the clock?

There were a limited number of things the Doctor could do to work his way into the school, and he needed to try and be smooth about it all. Psychic paper would only go so far. They might even be creatures who surpassed the psychic paper, not that he would tell them that.

Their first day had been all but a waste of time, but the second day was when things changed. The Doctor had walked into the science room first, glasses on, briefcase in hand. EJ followed him, looking much less smart, and more approachable, not that any of the kids would. He was classified as staff, which was the black spot of the school environment.

"Good morning, class." The Doctor greeted them, relaxing into his place at the front of the crowd. "Are we sitting comfortably?"

EJ wasn't entirely sure what reaction the Doctor was expecting from a group of preteens with no desire for science, but it wasn't complete silence. When he noticed that no one would reply, he began to get to work. The black whiteboard pen squeaked as he scribbled on capital letters across: PHYSICS.

"So... physics." The Doctor shrugged, moving around his desk so that he might lean on it. "Physics, eh? Physics. Physics. Physics. Physics. Physics. Physics. Physics. Physics. Physics. Physics."

"Are you alright, Mr Smith?" EJ raised his eyebrows, and the Doctor nodded.

"Extremely, Mr Thompson. I hope you're getting all this down." The kids just seemed to weirded out by him. "Okay, let's see what you know."

Technically speaking, EJ wasn't a teacher like the Doctor was. He was a classroom assistant, which was not on his bucket list. Though, Rose was given the job of dinner lady, which was a hundred times worse. At least he could be dignified, for a time.

"Two identical strips of nylon are charged with static electricity and hung from a string so they can swing freely. What would happen if they were brought near each other?" Whilst the majority of the class looked bored and confused, one boy raised his hand: ovular glasses and bushy hair. "Yes? Eh, what's your name?"

"Milo."

  "Milo." He grinned. "Off you go."

  "They'd repel each other because they have the same charge."

  "Correctamundo!" The Doctor exclaimed before grimacing. "A word I have never used before, and hopefully never will again."

  EJ nodded. "I'll remind you."

  "Question two, I coil up a thin piece of nichrome wire and place it in a glass of water, then I turn on the electricity and measure to see if the water temperatures affected. My question is this, how do I measure the electrical power going into the coil?" Milo, once again, was the only one to raise his hand. "Someone else? No, okay. Milo, go for it!"

  "You measure the current and PD using an ammeter and a voltmeter."

  "Two to Milo." The Doctor hummed, clearly sensing something wrong with the child that no one else could. "Right then, Milo, tell me this. True or false, the greater the damping in a cistern, the quicker it loses energy to its surroundings?"