58 : At Least We Made It This Far

ℭ𝔥𝔦𝔰𝔴𝔦𝔠𝔨, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔇𝔢𝔠𝔢𝔪𝔟𝔢𝔯 2006

It was hard to know how Donna would react upon arriving at her own reception, late. She had already explained what would have happened, had she been there, and she assumed that everyone would feel distraught that she had disappeared. As soon as EJ heard Merry Xmas Everybody over the speakers, he knew exactly what was going to happen.

The entire reception was dancing when they walked in, and for a moment, they were able to just watch. Then, slowly, people began to notice that Donna, and two strange men, had arrived in the room. The music cut out, and there was a tension in the air that EJ didn't even know how to describe... thick, perhaps.

Donna's voice was gritty and furious. "You had the reception without me?"

"Donna, what happened to you?" A man stepped forwards, presumably Lance from the way he was dressed, concerned. Although, not so concerned that he was previously dancing with a skimpy blonde in a blue cocktail dress.

"You had the reception without me." She repeated, as it seemed her point was lost among them.

"Hello, I'm the Doctor." He introduced himself with the intention of breaking some of the tension. There was a smile on his face. "This is EJ."

Donna turned to them, unimpressed. "They had the reception without me!"

"Yes," The Doctor nodded, like he was speaking to a child. "I gathered."

The blonde woman who had been dancing with Lance spoke up. "Well, it was all paid for, why not?"

"Thank you, Nerys." Donna snapped.

"Oh, this is Nerys?" EJ's brows raised, uncomfortably, sneering at her. "Oh, yeah, she looks like a pain."

"What were we supposed to do?" An older blonde woman stepped forwards; she looked vaguely like Donna, perhaps her mother. "I got your silly little message in the end. I'm on Earth?! Very funny. But what the hell happened?"

"You vanished!" A white haired man exclaimed, presumably her dad.

"How did you do it? I mean, what's the trick, cos I know it's an illusion..." Her mother continued, but it quickly became a conglomeration of voices all layered on top of one another, which was extremely overwhelming.

Every single thing said was directed at Donna, and she looked around, unaware of what to do. Then, with one look at EJ and the Doctor, she burst into tears. Loud sobs escaped her lungs like she'd been holding it in all day. Everyone fell silent as Lance embraced her, which was when they awed and clapped like it was a romcom in a cinema. Though, she did wink to her new friends when her back was turned on the crowd before returning to sniffling. It was quite the master plan. The Doctor seemed impressed, and a slight smile grew on his lips.

The way that everything moved on was so swift, it was like Donna had never disappeared in the first place, everyone was just keen to dance again. Donna had found herself in Lance's arms, slow dancing, amongst conversation which EJ and the Doctor were glad to steer clear of. Too many questions would make the whole thing quite suspicious.

As they leant with their backs against the bar, the Doctor had a smirk pressed to his lips which EJ could not stop staring at. It was only getting worse, the feeling that the Doctor was beautiful was so overwhelming that it was never not on his mind. There were more important things happening, usually, but for now, he could afford to admire. At least, in conversation he could, anyhow.

"Is that us done, then?" EJ asked, looking to the Doctor with curiosity. "We leaving Donna here and going somewhere else?"

"I'm not sure yet..." The Doctor trailed.