60 : A Hurt Like That

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔠𝔥 2007

His hair was soft, like clouds... and marshmallows. It ran through EJ's fingers like warm water drawn for a bath. Like silk, it reacted to his touch.

The Doctor and EJ always had a certain understanding with each other, an unspoken bond which moulded to their situation. A singular glance could tell a thousand stories worth of words, and yet, it never failed in its effect.

Sat in front of the Thompson boy, the Doctor never let their eye-contact break. He knew that this conversation was defining, more so than anything they had ever considered before, perhaps more than anything they would ever accomplish. That was why EJ was so nervous.

"I just don't understand what's so complicated about it." He said, lying through his teeth. "It... it was just a kiss... I was pissed with you."

One raised eyebrow turned into a poignant look directed his way; like that, his façade dropped like a curtain. EJ let his hands fall away from the Doctor's hair, feeling like his work was complete styling it. He looked good, though he was sure that someone as gorgeous as the Doctor could never look bad.

They were stuck inside of the Royal Hope Hospital because the Doctor had found something interesting. It was vaguely about plasma coils, but EJ had given up halfway through the explanation, which was a first. He'd been interrupted, and he was trembling. It was blatant to anyone with eyes.

"That's not what you wanted to say, it it?" The Doctor observed, seeing EJ as he began to pick at the skin on his hands. They started to bleed. He offered his own hand as a distraction.

The Thompson boy took it without a second thought; it was second nature to him now. "I just... you're... I've never met anyone like you."

"I get that a lot."

"Shut up." He snapped back, playfully, baring his teeth. "I'm trying to tell you, that... I mean, I did kiss you because I was pissed off. But... but it was also relief."

EJ was more than glad that there was a plastic blue curtain giving them a small amount of privacy to the rest of the hospital. It seemed like a quiet moment would be hard to come by, and so, he kept his voice low, just in case someone decided to listen in.

"Sat in that stupid spaceship, next to Satan, I sort of realised that I couldn't live without you, or... or I realised that I didn't want to. It doesn't really matter, it's all the same in the end, isn't it?" The words left his lips before he'd the chance to think about what he was saying. "And I said it the other day, just by accident, until, you know, I had a good think, and I knew it wasn't accident."

"Deep breath. Come on." The Doctor encouraged, gently. "What did you say?"

For a moment, EJ didn't believe that he would be able to speak again, let alone what he really meant. And, then, he somehow managed. It was like the universe wanted him to say it, like someone was rooting for them.

"I said that I..." He gulped, closing his eyes briefly, not being able to say it when the Doctor looked at him with those beautiful eyes. "I... love you."

The Doctor softened entirely. His entire demeanour relaxed, and he shifted his weight to be closer to EJ. His free hand was placed on the Thompson boy's face, resting gently on his jaw so that his thumb would be able to brush over the skin at will. At first, EJ wasn't sure how to react. It was as if gravity pushed them together, and by pressing his palm to the boy's jaw, his entire nervous system was set on fire. His eyes opened widely.