49 : The Ink From Books

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔍𝔲𝔩𝔶 2012

The Doctor ran back to the Tardis after opening the door and swiftly closing it again. A confused expression adorned his face, and EJ had his concerns, purely because he'd started to press buttons on the console already.

     "What is it?" The Thompson asked, curiously.

  The Doctor just thinned his lips, obviously embarrassed. "We're facing the wrong way... got to turn her around."

  He nodded, understanding. "Oh."

When the Doctor ran to open the doors again, he met it with a content sigh. His hands were dug firmly into his pockets, stepping into the cold English air. EJ almost had to spring to follow him because he was so enticed by what was to come. However, he only wore a boring black sweatshirt this time. It didn't even coverup his tattoos.

That wasn't to say he didn't love his ink marked skin, because he did, more than anything. He was, however, hyper aware of people staring at him. EJ didn't usually give them a reason to, in case they saw something they weren't ready for. It was just a bad day

Rose had wandered off to the side, because she was facing a wall of Shayne Ward posters when she spoke up. "So, near future, yeah?"

"I had a passing fancy." The Doctor mused, smile on his face. "Only, it didn't pass. It stopped."

"It's something fun then?" EJ jumped up and down on his toes, high on sugar and time travel. "I want to do something fun!"

"Oi, this is fun." The Doctor scolded as they turned into the opening of a modern looking street, the most average place that EJ had ever set eyes upon. It was an achievement which sent discomfort through his body. "But, if you must know, the thirtieth Olympiad."

"No way!" Rose giggled loudly as she clung to his arm. "Why didn't I think of this? That's great!"

"Because I did! And I'm obviously better than you." EJ exclaimed at an even greater volume, jumping so high with excitement that he could have been a rabbit. "You actually brought us? Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

"Oi!" The blonde scoffed as EJ wrapped his arms around the Doctor so tightly it looked like he might break in two. "No need for that."

He quipped. "Yeah, but it was fun."

"Only seems like yesterday a few naked Greek blokes were tossing a discus about, wrestling with each other in the sand as the crowds stood around baying..." The Doctor reminisced, and EJ raised his hand shyly. "No, wait, that was Club Med."

"I've changed my mind." He didn't sound embarrassed at all. "I want to go there instead."

"Nah, you don't want to do that." He grabbed onto the Thompson boy, dragging him along as he grinned. "This is where you want to be! Just in time for the opening do-da ceremony tonight. The last one they had in London was dynamite. Wembley 1948. I loved it so much that I went back and watched it all over again. Fella carrying the torch, lovely chap, what was his...? John, Mark? Legs like pipe cleaners but strong as a whippet..."

  Somehow, Rose managed to get through to EJ through his daydreams, calling as she edged away. "Doctor!"

"And in those days, everyone had a tea party to go to."

"Doctor!" She tried again, but he was in another world completely.

"You ever had those little cakes with crunchy ball bearings on top?"

"Yes, love, everyone has." EJ half-smiled, turning back to share a look with him, gesturing for him to follow.

She sounded desperate now. "Look at this!"