28 : Ill Equipped

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔇𝔢𝔠𝔢𝔪𝔟𝔢𝔯 2005

Leaving is always the hardest part of travelling, but staying still seemed to be far worse. After Christmas, EJ had wasted little time in gathering all of his things together, ready to take in the Tardis. She had a room prepared for him, so it would be rude not to decorate.

     All of his friends came to see him off this time around. After the blood control scare, Taylor and Soren weren't travelling anywhere without each other. Ty was worried about EJ going off on his own, despite being told many times that he wouldn't be alone. Even Angel had his reservations, and was only tolerant happiness when Elliott told him he looked too grumpy.

     Rose had brought Mickey and Jackie along to the park where the Doctor landed the Tardis. From where he was standing, EJ could hear half of what they were saying. It was all the same sort of sappy stuff he expected to hear from Jackie. However, he was much more focused on his own situation as Josh bounded into his arms.

     Zoë had promised to bring him along, and for a time, EJ didn't believe her. Whenever Simon was involved, she had a tendency to forget. Even if they'd only seen each other the day before, it didn't matter. He would see his son every day if it was possible; but there was no way that he and Zoë could ever get back together.

"Have you got everything?" She fussed, straightening out his shirt collar. Everyone was watching them, including Simon, but she didn't seem to mind. "Clothes, shoes, for all weathers... everything?"

"You can stop worrying about me, Zo." EJ promised, taking her hands and placing them back by her side. "Your man's gonna get jealous."

"Let him be." Was her reply. It was obviously a conversation they'd had before. "Nothings ever gonna happen between us, so he can button it."

"Shove over!" Taylor complained from the side, edging Zoë to move on. "Some of us have to be at work soon."

"It's a Saturday." EJ retorted, shaking his head. "You don't bloody work on a Saturday."

He shot back without thinking. "Exactly, but I've got work Monday. She's taking an age."

"It's alright." She promised, and kissed his cheek, gently. "Have fun, and please, stay safe."

  Josh clung to his leg, even then, and EJ picked him up and sat him on his hip. He was getting far too big for it, but one last time wouldn't hurt. "You be good for Mummy, Beanie."

  "I will." He mumbled into his shoulder. "Do... do you have to go?"

  The truth stung sometimes, but there was no reason to lie. "I don't have to, no, Joshy. But the Doctor's my friend. I can't let him be all by himself."

  "Okay." Josh nodded, and hugged his Dad even tighter then before. "Bye bye, Daddy."

  "Bye bye, Josh." EJ grinned back at him, handing him over to his mother. It was always a struggle watching them leave together, so it helped a little more than that he would be leaving first this time. Although, Simon being there was still a little unnerving. He waved, and smiled awkwardly. "Alright?"

  "Yeah, mate." He forgot how rough Simon was in tone. "You?"

  "Good, yeah." EJ was forever thankful that Ty chose that moment to tackle him to the floor. All of the wind was knocked out of him, but it didn't matter half as much as the comfort he received. "Jesus, Ty, what've you been eating? Santa?"

"Wow!" He scoffed. "You're making fat jokes? On Boxing Day? That's a new low for you."

"You're a dick."