Chapter 1: The New World

Narrator:This story follows a boy named Nikolai Rolan. He recently turned 18, and was about to decide what career to go into. He said his goodbyes to his family before he headed off into the world.

Nikolai:"Alright, let's see what the city has for me."

*Nikolai wonders through the city looking for any employment signs, entertainment shows, or anything that piques his interest.*

Nikolai:"This city really has it all. Everything except a job for me."

*He bumped into a man in a military uniform, and apologized*

Nikolai:"I'm sorry, sir. I didn't see you there."

Man:"Ugh...it's fine, but you should be more careful, got it? Especially with all that luggage you have."

Nikolai:"Y-Yes sir."

Man:"Now get out of my way."

*Nikolai then noticed a girl at the man's side. She looked back at Nikolai, and bowed to him*

???:"I'm very sorry for bothering you."

Nikolai:"Oh, it's fine."

Man:"Hey! Don't try and make me look bad."

*The man ordered the girl, and she immediately backed away from Nikolai*

Nikolai:"Wait...is this girl a-"

Man:"A Nikke, you must've seen them before. Men in the military get access to these weapons all the time. However, a commander like myself can keep a Nikke for himself. Kind of like a trophy or something."

Nikolai:"I-I see."

Man:"Now leave me be, I'm wasting enough time already."

*The man and the girl walk along, leaving Nikolai alone*

Nikolai(mind):That girl seemed nice, but she's a weapon? Why did the man call her a trophy? That's no way to treat a human, even if they are a weapon.

*Nikolai continued along, and entered a part of the city where he saw more military men with Nikke. He noticed that none of the Nikke were smiling, which made him feel sad*

Nikolai(mind):These girls are with someone that they've probably known for a while, but they aren't enjoying their time with them? Did something happen to these girls?

*Nikolai continued, then saw a military propaganda poster on a billboard. He was stopped and asked multiple times to join the army, but he rejected every time*

Nikolai(mind):I never wanted to join the army. The whole point of the military is to fight off the enemy for our freedom, yet nobody in the military has the freedom to do what they want.

*Nikolai stayed hidden, then saw an elevator labeled 'off-limits'. However, it looked functional. He saw a group of Nikke walk into the elevator, and it took them up into the sky*

Nikolai:"Where does that elevator go?"

Nikolai(mind):Did the elevator just disappear into the sky?! What happened to the girls in it?! Are they ok?

*The elevator came back down, with nobody inside it. Nikolai looked around to see if anyone was going to enter it, then he sneaked into the elevator, and closed to doors. The elevator then took Nikolai into the sky. Once Nikolai was past the clouds, everything went dark*

Nikolai(mind):Wait, is this thing even safe? I just went in to see if the girls were safe. Where is this taking me?

*The elevator continued, and Nikolai saw a whole other world outside. The sky was cloudy, everything was in ruins, and robotic creatures inhabited every corner of the environment. The entire place was breathtaking to Nikolai*