Episode 29: The Lore Character

Narrator:Nikolai has met Modernia after his date with Neon, let's see what they talk about.

Modernia:"My name is Modernia. It's a pleasure to meet your acquaintance."

Nikolai:"Nice to meet you too."

Nikolai(mind):What kind of name is 'Modernia'?!

Modernia:"Thy have any other questions for me?"

Nikolai:"Uh...I guess why are you talking like that?"

Modernia:"Oh, my speech has been merely adopted from one of my caretakers."

Nikolai:"Caretakers?"

Nikolai(mind):I'm guess she means that she started to talk similarly to the person who took care of her...wait, something's off.

Nikolai:"Wasn't commander Y/N your caretaker? He never talked like that."

Modernia:"Oh, the commander isn't the caretaker I'm taking about. She is someone else entirely."

Nikolai(mind):She?! I swear, the more answers she gives me, the more questions I end up getting.

Nikolai:"Ok, so the commander didn't take care of you?"

Modernia:"Like I said, it's complicated."

Nikolai(mind):No kidding...

Nikolai:"Ok, so...are you a Nikke?"

Modernia:"I am a certain type of Nikke, called a Heretic."

Nikolai(mind):That doesn't sound like a good-guy name.

Nikolai:"What are Heretics?"

Modernia:"Myself, and my caretakers are Nikke who have abandoned the Ark, and stay on the surface."

Nikolai:"Wait, what?!"

Nikolai(mind):Nikkes who live on the surface?! How is that possible?! The Nikkes abandoned the Ark? Why would they-

*Nikolai thought back to how Nikkes are treated in the Ark*

Nikolai:"So it wasn't by choice, was it?"

Modernia:"Huh?"

Nikolai(mind):Now that I think about it, back when I first came to the surface...if Rapi wanted to, she would've become a heretic if I wasn't there.

Nikolai:"You were forced out of the Ark, right?"

Modernia:"Indeed, myself and my caretakers were forced to become heretics, and there are many others who have suffered the same fate."

Nikolai:"I...I'm sorry."

Modernia:"I appreciate thy sympathy, but you shouldn't worry about us."

Nikolai:"But...you are different from the Nikkes I know. You must be one of a kind."

Modernia:"Correct, I was and still am one of a kind. However, being special is not always good."

Nikolai:"What do you mean?"

Modernia:"My special technology, and overwhelming strength caused fearful people to go after my commander and the Counters. They had no choice, but to take me to my caretakers."

Nikolai:"I see."

Nikolai(mind):I think I'm starting to understand her now. So commander Y/N and the Counters squad didn't want her to get taken away and used as a weapon, so they took her to the surface where she would be safe.

Nikolai:"People can be very scary, especially when it comes to things they don't understand."

Modernia:"Precisely. However, it's strange."