M&A || One

Hell was about to break loose. Although today is the day that most sixteen-year-old werewolves dream of. For me, it has been the day the I've been dreading. Today was the day I wish the end of the world actually happened instead of the usual December 21 myth. It was the day we get paired with another not by love but by force. When a werewolf is young, they are sent away to almost like a summer camp to find their soulmate. Some find theirs and others are forced to continue the journey of finding the person they're supposed to spend the rest of their days with. The girl remains with her family until the age of sixteen when she is sent to go with her other half.

Everyone believes this is the natural way of our society. It was the Moon Goddess' plan. Except for me, my mother broke the rules. My mother made a deal for me to be mated to the Alpha of the rival pack. She sacrificed five of our pack members to the Moon Goddess in order for us to become mates. No one has been able to figure out why she did this and it's not like anyone could ask her. Her actions were considered treason which resulted in her to be stoned to death. I was too young to know what actually happened and I still have a feeling that I'm not getting the whole story. Something doesn't add up. What? That's what I can't seem to figure out no matter how many hours I spend thinking about this.

I remained under the turquoise covers of my bed as I watched the sun climb over the hills in the distance. Birds were beginning to do their chirping; something I always found as annoying, but today they seemed to be the only thing that made me feel connected to my childhood. It was going to be the last time I was waking up in my bed waiting to see my brother Jackson and my father. They have always been my rock and now they were going to be enemies. My own blood was now something I couldn't even consider mine.

I have no idea if I would even live to see the sunrise tomorrow. Though, I'm not sure I'd even want to. There have been stories going around my pack that the Alpha on the opposing pack killed his family to come to power. He is brutal and cold hearted. Some even say that he can kill before being able to count to one. The killing was easy for him. That's what terrifies me the most.

My eyes drifted away from the window towards my alarm clock. An action that I knew I'd regret for the rest of my life. Thirty minutes until He would be here. I let out a loud groan before yanking the covers off to get ready. Personally, I would have loved to show up in my pajamas, but looking at the big picture made me realize my pajamas would be my death sentence. After washing my brunette hair in a matter of minutes, I settled on wearing a black lace dress. It was my favorite and it would also be the only thing I could bring with me considering I was switching packs. All my childhood belongings gone in a flash.

I tiptoed down the stairs into the kitchen and then the office to find myself alone. I couldn't help but wonder if my family purposely left early so they didn't have to say goodbye. Because it was goodbye. Any future interaction(if it even happened) would be of us at odds.

My front door swung open revealing my best friend Lily running in, tears streaming down her face. "What's the matter, Lily?" Besides the fact that our friendship too would be over the moment I left here. We had a good run and I will always cherish the memories we share.

"Your mate is here. He is ready to take you to his pack." I hugged her goodbye even allowing myself to shed a few tears.

I sighed. "Okay, I'm ready." I walked past her, head held up high, and headed towards the front side of camp where the Alpha was. I didn't make it before being stopped by my brother. Jackson is the soon to be Alpha for our pack. To my surprise, he acted as if I wasn't his sister. He asked for the blue moon shaped necklace back. Each wolf had a pendant of a blue moon and if you leave our tribe then you must give it back because it means you are not one of them. I removed the pendant from my neck and placed a gentle kiss on it. Everything was beginning to seem real. "Goodbye my brother," I managed to say despite my voice cracking. I was on the verge of going full blown sobbing.