Chapter 8-How Much More Can The Heart Take?

It has been one week since Lucas betrayed me. I haven't heard or talked to him. My human side hates him, but my werewolf side needs him if I want to survive. I haven't been able to do much while laying in my hospital bed. I've pretty much just been creating pro and con diagrams on forgiving Lucas. I'd finally come to terms with my decision, but I need to talk to Lucas before I tell him.

The doctors believe that I'm making a fast recovery now that I've come up with my decision. I haven't really been able to get out of bed and later we're going to try and see how well I can walk. They keep telling me the process is slow and it will take some time to fully recover. But the more I stay in this room, the more I feel like I'm slipping away.

Through this entire process, I've realized that I haven't interacted with anyone. I vowed that If I get better that I would search for some friends to keep me company if I decide to stay.

One person besides Tyler did come and visit me a few times. The women named Emily from the nursery. She was much more outgoing and a free spirit now that she was out of the Alpha House. She told me of how she is opening up a bakery shop in the town square. She says that taking care of cakes and muffins is a lot easier than taking care of pups.

Lucas hasn't been the only one I've been thinking about lately. I thought about my brother trying to wrap my head around why he gave me up so quickly. I think it's part of a greater agenda. One where he becomes the sole alpha. I hadn't realized how difficult it is to retain your position. Jackson has called me a few times, but I decided not to answer so that hopefully he will think I'm dead. However, this decision followed my head. I can only hope this doesn't make him want to retaliate.

There is only one thing in this world that I would be looking for if my wolf made me stay. The ball. It's a 1500s theme so with the big jewels, the dresses, and elegant decorations. That was actually on my pro list for staying here with Lucas.

"Mia! Mia!"

"What? What is it, Tyler?!"

"Lucas wanted to be the one to tell you this, but I thought it might be easier coming from me. W-we got a call from your brother, Jackson." Tyler hesitated and walked over and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Tyler, tell me what's going on? Tyler!"

"Mia, your father is dead."

My heart skipped a beat. I slowly moved my hands over my mouth as I desperately tried to grasp the small amount of strength I had left. Tears began flowing out of my eyes. Each drop fell to the ground.

"Mia." Tyler began to reach into his pocket for something. "Your father wrote you this note. One of his advisors met Lucas at the border and gave it to him. They said that Jackson would like you to attend the funeral. They promised no harm."

I took the letter from Tyler's hand and began wiping the tears away. Tyler left to let me read the letter.

The letter wrote:

Dear my precious Mia,

By the time you are reading this, I should assume that my fate has been chosen. I have left you with the enemy and I've left your brother in charge of many lives.

The day before you left to go with Lucas, I was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer. Sadly, we didn't catch it in time before it spread through my body. The doctors told me that I could very much die at any given point. This is the reason I never got one last chance to say goodbye, hug you one last time, or even say I love you. I was too heartbroken to tell you before you left because I knew it would only add to the pain that was caused when you were torn away from your home, our home.

Please remember that as long as I'm in your thoughts, I'll be with you and if it makes you sad to think of me then don't. Don't cause yourself that pain. Honey, you will survive this. You do not need me. You can survive anything with the strength you carry.

You may be part of the enemy, but that doesn't change how much I care and love you. Don't let one mistake pull out your heart. Forgive, forget, and fight for you. I may dislike your mate, but I bless the marriage between you and when you walk down that aisle know I'm walking down with you.

You are the gem of my heart. Be brave. Lift your head up high. And follow your heart.

With all the love that I possess, goodbye my dear daughter.

"He's gone," I whispered

I sat staring at the letter for minutes until reality took over and I could no longer hear his voice in my head.

I went to place the letter back into the envelope when I noticed another small paper. A photo of me when I was just a pup. Alongside my brother, father, and mother.

I've never sent a photo of her before. I thought all were destroyed when she was declared a heretic. She was beautiful. She had the emerald eyes and wavy brunette hair just as I. She looked strong and loving.

I looked at the window and held the photo. "Oh, my dear Moon Goddess. Please take care of my father and keep him safe. I need your help regaining my strength to move on. I can't do this alone. I can't."

"My dear child."

"Moon Goddess is that you?"

"You haven't lost your strength. In fact, you have more than ever. It's just hidden inside. You must fight for it. You are able to do anything despite what you think. You're not alone my child."

"You're not alone my child" stuck through my mind. Did she mean Jackson? Tyler? Emily? Or Lucas?